Friday 18 May 1956
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK No Other Love by Ronnie Hilton was in the top 5 hits.
The Killing, directed by Stanley Kubrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 May 1956!
Which were the important events of 18 May 1956 ?
- Joe [Naomichi] Ozaki in Tekushima: Japan; golfer (1995 Phoenix Open-8th).
- John Godber: English playwright and screenwriter.
- Catherine Corsini: French film director and screenwriter.
- Mickey Mantle hits homerun from both sides of plate for record third time.
- Queen Juliana opens Rembrandt fairs in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- First ascent of Lhotse 8,516 meters, by a Swiss team.
- Lhotse (main), the fourth highest mountain, is first ascended.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?