Wednesday 1 April 1936
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Abdul Qadeer Khan and Peter Collinson.
Flash Gordon, directed by Frederick Stephani, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
while Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1936!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1936 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Abdul Qadeer Khan: Pakistani nuclear scientist.
- Peter Collinson: English-American director and producer (d. 1980).
- Jean-Pascal Delamuraz: Swiss politician 80th President of the Swiss Confederation (d. 1998).
- Tarun Gogoi: Indian politician 14th Chief Minister of Assam.
- Abdul Khan: Indian-Pakistani physicist chemist and engineer.
- Don Steele: LA radio personality (KRTH), dies of cancer at 61
- Mikhail Vladimirovich Ivanov-Boretsky: Composer, dies at 61.
- Orissa constitutes a province of British India.
- Orissa formerly known as Kalinga or Utkal becomes a state in India.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?