Thursday 1 April 1948
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Catherine Millet and Jimmy Cliff.
Paisan, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Tonight on Broadway.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1948!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 April 1948 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Catherine Millet
- Jimmy Cliff: Jamaican singer and actor.
- Thomas Tobin: American ecclesiastic, a Roman Catholic Bishop who gained great publicity after Congressman Patrick Kennedy from Rhode Island made public Tobin's stance against Kennedy's right to receive Communion, an important Catholic rite.
- Paul Myners: Baron Myners English journalist and politician.
- JJ Williams: Welsh rugby player and sprinter.
- Faroe Islands receive autonomy from Denmark.
- H H H Johnson bowls West Indies to win versus England 10-96 match on debut.
- Cold War: Berlin Airlift : Military forces, under direction of the Russian-controlled government in East Germany, set-up a land blockade of West Berlin.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Now is the Hour (Maori Farewell Song) - Buddy Clark
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?