Friday 1 April 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gérard Mestrallet and Gil Scott-Heron.
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, directed by Tay Garnett, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Greatest Story Ever Told by Fulton Oursler was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Fireside Theatre.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1949!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 April 1949 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Gérard Mestrallet: French business executive, the Chairman and CEO of GDF Suez, as well as the Chairman of the Board of Suez Environnement.
- Gil Scott-Heron: American singer-songwriter and author (d. 2011).
- Nonce Paolini
- Sammy Nelson: Northern Irish footballer and coach.
- Dominique Collignon-Maurin
- Gill Scott-Heron: United States -- Writer / poet / singer (Whities on the Moon).
- Gerard Mestrallet: French businessman.
- Chinese Civil War: The Communist Party of China holds unsuccessful peace talks with the Kuomintang in Beijing, after three years of fighting.
- The 26 counties of the Irish Free State become the Republic of Ireland.
- The Canadian government repeals Japanese Canadian internment after seven years.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?