Tuesday 1 April 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries (see planets position on April 1, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Kyoto (Japan) and Alain Connes.
New Orleans, directed by Arthur Lubin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Juvenile Jury.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 April 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1947 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Alain Connes: French mathematician, currently Professor at the Collège de France, IHÉS, The Ohio State University and Vanderbilt University.
- Kyoto (Japan)
- Daria de Martynoff
- Norm Van Lier: American basketball player coach and sportscaster (d. 2009).
- Neşe Karaböcek: Turkish singer and actress.
- Philippe Kirsch: Canadian lawyer and judge.
- Eliyahu Goldratt: Businessman.
- Robin Scott: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (M).
- Francine Prose: American author critic and academic.
- Alain Lefebvre: French journalist who founded the ephemeral Magazine 'hebdo' while managing the 'groupe Media' and 'L'Histoire' magazine.
- Ingrid Steeger: German actress and comedienne.
- Norman Van Lier: American athlete, pro-basketball player, drafted by the Chicago Bulls in 1969.
- 1st Jewish immigrants to Israel disembark at Port of Eilat
- Paul becomes king of Greece, on the death of his childless elder brother, George II.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Heartaches - Harry James & His Orchestra
- My Adobe Hacienda - Eddy Howard & His Orchestra
- Art Lund - Mam'selle