Friday August 01, 2008
US date format: 8/1/2008, UK date format: 1/8/2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 1, 2008). The US president was George W. Bush (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Gordon Brown (Labour), Pope Benedict XVI was leading the Catholic Church.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Tropic Thunder, directed by Ben Stiller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Spooks: Code 9.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spider-Man: Web of Shadows or Ai Space.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 01, 2008?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- See more
- General Motors of the USA announces second quarter loss of US$15.5 billion, worst in the company's history.
- The International Atomic Energy Agency unanimously approves a safeguards agreement with India, a precondition of the nuclear deal with the United States. (Sify)
- Unemployment in the United States rises to 5.7 per cent, its highest rate in more than four years. (VOA)
- Vietnam's capital Hanoi absorbs the neighboring province of Ha Tay, tripling its area and doubling its population. (Thanh Nien News)
- See more
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 01, 2008?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Keyshia Cole - Heaven Sent
- Lil Wayne - A Milli
- Alicia Keys - Teenage Love Affair
- The-Dream - I Luv Your Girl
- Rihanna - Take A Bow
- Chris Brown - Take You Down
- Young Jeezy Featuring Kanye West - Put On
- Plies Featuring Ne-Yo - Bust It Baby Part 2
- Lil Wayne Featuring Static Major - Lollipop
- David Banner Featuring Chris Brown - Get Like Me
Sport Games on August 01, 2008
Division 2Football (France)
- Ajaccio - Chateauroux : 0 - 1
- Amiens - Boulogne : 1 - 1
- Angers - Reims : 3 - 1
- Clermont - Vannes : 0 - 1
- Guingamp - Metz : 0 - 1
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
- Automakers Drop Leases as Their Losses Mount With consumers flocking to smaller cars, Detroit’s automakers are taking huge losses on the leases that once fueled the boom in trucks and S.U.V.’s. [..]
- Cuts and Concessions Demanded at New Jersey Papers The Star-Ledger of Newark and a smaller sister paper in Trenton need to eliminate at least 20 percent of their staffs and win concessions from trade unions to stay afloat, their management said. [..]
- See all financial news of August 01, 2008
- ExxonMobil XOM: opens at $80.55
- Apple AAPL: opens at $159.94
- Microsoft MSFT: opens at $25.95
- General Electric GE: opens at $28.43
- International Business Machines IBM: opens at $128.52
- 1 USD = 107.68 JPY
- 1 USD = 1.027 CAD
- 1 USD = 1.0495 CHF
- 1 USD = 6.8425 CNY
- 1 EUR = 167.61 JPY