Friday 29 August 2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Body in Numbers.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing AMF Bowling World Lanes or Bananagrams.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 29 August 2008 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 August
- The US Mint officially launches the 2008 Alaska State quarter dollar coin at the Alaska State Fair.
- In Dayton, Ohio, Senator John McCain announces Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate for election as US President.
- Protestors from the People's Alliance for Democracy seeking the overthrow of the Government of Thailand force the closure of Phuket Airport, Krabi Airport and Hat Yai Airport. (''Melbourne Age'')
- Hurricane Gustav reaches hurricane strength en route to the Cayman Islands, Cuba and the Gulf of Mexico. (CNN)
- Georgia cuts diplomatic ties with Russia following Russian recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. (AFP via ABC News Australia)
- Italian airline Alitalia files for bankruptcy protection. (BBC News)
- Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić refuses to enter pleas to charges including genocide and crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia at the Hague. (AP via Google News)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 August 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?