Wednesday 27 August 2008US date format: 8/27/2008, UK date format: 27/8/2008
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on August 27, 2008). The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
The Express, directed by Gary Fleder, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Host by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Raising the Bar.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Calvin Tucker's Redneck Jamboree or Biology Battle.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 27 August 2008
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 27 August 2008 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 August
- Mark Priestley: Australian actor (Born 1970).
- The earthquake with a magnitude 9.0 occurred off the southern coast of Lake Baikal. It was felt strongly in Baykalsk and Slyudyanka, two towns in Slyudyansky District, Irkutsk Oblast, Russia. (Information agency The city of News; in Russian language)
- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Qin Gang, said on August 27 Beijing was "concerned of the latest development in South Ossetia and Abkhazia." (Civil)
- The United States condemns the decision by the Russian President to recognize as independent states the Georgian regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. (Rustavi 2)
- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has condemned Russia's 'unacceptable' decision to recognise the Georgian rebel regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. (RTE)
- Russia will be looking for unambiguous support from Asian nations, including China, in its standoff with the West over South Ossetia and Abkhazia when the Shanghai Cooperation Organization meets Thursday in Dushanbe. (Moscow Times)
- French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner is expressing concern that Russia, riding high after its victories in Georgia, may target other neighbors, such as Moldova and Ukraine. (USA Today)
- A Russian armoured personnel carrier raced down the road to where Georgian policemen were manning their checkpoint at the village of Mosabruni, just inside South Ossetia. (BBC News)
- British Foreign Secretary David Miliband warns Russia against starting a new Cold War. (The Independent) (Sky News)
- U.S. presidential election: Democratic National Convention: Senator Barack Obama is formally selected by acclamation as the nominee of the Democratic Party. Senator Joe Biden is formally selected as the vice presidential Democratic nominee in the same manner by acclamation. (AP via Google News)
- Alberto Gonzales announces his resignation as US attorney general as of September 17.
- At the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, Illinois senator Barack Obama is nominated as Democratic presidential nominee.
- 22 are killed after Hurricane Gustav makes landfall over Haiti. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- A flaw in the internet's Border Gateway Protocol that was described ten years ago now ampquotcan be used to invisibly eavesdrop on all traffic originating from a particular set of IP blocks.ampquot (Ars Technica)
- U.S. presidential election: Democratic National Convention
- As many as 71 illegal immigrants are feared drowned after their boat sinks in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Malta. (BBC News)
- The Dalai Lama cancels two international trips (Mexico Dominican Republic) to undergo medical tests due to ampquotexhaustionampquot. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- David Cameron threw his weight behind international condemnation of Russia with a call for the suspension of European negotiations with the superpower. (''The Guardian'')
- Georgia PM: War damage is estimated at $1 billion. (Forbes)
- Georgia is minimizing the level of diplomatic co-operation with Russia, recalling all but two diplomats from Moscow. (Xinhua)(Civil Georgia)
Birth chart on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2008?
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Rihanna - Take A Bow
- Heaven Sent - Keyshia Cole
- Lil Wayne - A Milli
- Jazmine Sullivan - Need U Bad
- Put On - Young Jeezy Featuring Kanye West
- Robin Thicke - Magic
- Get Like Me - David Banner Featuring Chris Brown
- Take You Down - Chris Brown
- The Business - Yung Berg Featuring Casha
- Here I Am - Rick Ross Featuring Nelly & Avery Storm
Top #10 Latin songs
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation warned that the nation’s ailing banking industry was likely to weaken further and raised the number of “problem” lenders. [..]
Disney has put together a marketing campaign using Pinocchio and Snow White to accelerate consumer adoption of next-generation DVD technology and boost sales. [..]
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $53.93
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $81.40
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $64.86
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $46.65
- 1 CAD = 1.0479 CHF
- 1 AUD = 0.9413 CHF
- 1 AUD = 0.898 CAD
- 1 GBP = 2.0132 CHF
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?