Friday 8 August 2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Audition by Barbara Walters was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mummy Forensics.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing CarneyVale: Showtime or Barbie Fashion Show: An Eye for Style.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 2008!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 8 August 2008 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 August
- US home mortgage funder Fannie Mae posts a second-quarter loss of US$2.3 billion, its fourth straight quarter loss, totaling US$9.44 billion over the past year.
- The 2008 Summer Olympics starts with the 2008 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony at the Beijing National Stadium. (''The Christian Science Monitor'')
- 2008 South Ossetia War:
- President of Georgia, Milkeil Saakashvili agrees that the timing (the first day of Olympics, with many world leaders in Peking) of the 'magor military offensive' of Georgia, during which the 'South Ossetian capital' devastated 'was not coincidental'. (AP via YouTube)
- Mikheil Saakashvili accuses Russian aircraft of attacking Tbilisi and outlying airfields. (Alfa)
- NATO and the European Union urge an immediate end to the violence in South Ossetia. (Reuters)
- A car bomb in the town of Tal Afar in northern Iraq kills at least 21 people and injures about 70. (BBC News)
- At least 13 people die when a private charter bus falls off a bridge onto a creek north of Dallas, Texas. (MSNBC)
- Studenka Train Disaster: An express train crashes into a bridge near the town of Studenka in the Czech Republic resulting in 7 people dead and around 70 injured. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- A terrorist group seeking an independent Muslim state in Xinjiang, China releases a video threatening an attack on the 2008 Olympic Games. (''The New York Times'')
- The President of the United States George W. Bush dedicates a new American embassy in Beijing. (VOA)
- The OECD reports slower growth and declining employment in the U.S. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Former U.S. Senator and Democratic ex-presidential candidate John Edwards admits to an affair with Rielle Hunter after having earlier denied it. (CNN)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 8 August 2008
Division 2Football (France)
- Bastia - Angers : 0 - 0
- Boulogne - Guingamp : 2 - 0
- Brest - Clermont : 2 - 2
- Chateauroux - Troyes : 0 - 1
ConferenceFootball (United Kingdom)
- Barrow - Oxford : 3 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?