Monday 1 May 1944
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rita Coolidge and Cyd Hayman.
Going My Way, directed by Leo McCarey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Green Years by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 May 1944 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Rita Coolidge
- Cyd Hayman
- Roby Facchinetti: Italian musician, a vocalist and the keyboardist with the pop band Pooh since 1966.
- Costa Cordalis: Greek-German singer.
- Suresh Kalmadi: Indian businessman and politician.
- Pulitzer prize awarded to Martin Flavin (Journey in the dark)
- Surprise attack on Weteringschans Amsterdam, fails.
- Messerschmitt Me-262 Sturmvogel, first operational jet aircraft (twin-jet fighter), makes first flight.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Amor Amor - Enric Madrguera
- Helen Forrest & Dick Haymes - Long Ago (And Far Away)
- Jo Stafford - I Love You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?