Thursday 1 June 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Colin Blakemore and Robert Powell.
Days of Glory, directed by Jacques Tourneur, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1944!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1944 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Colin Blakemore: English neurobiologist and academic.
- Robert Powell: England, United Kingdom -- Actor (Jigsaw Man, Shaka Zulu, Secrets).
- Gen Montgomery / Patton / Bradley / Dempsey / Crerar meet in Portsmouth
- Nazi occupiers make it punishable to give aid to allied pilots
- WWII: The BBC transmits a coded message (the first line of the poem quotChanson d'automnequot by Paul Verlaine) to the French Resistance, warning that the invasion of Europe is imminent.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 June 1944
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I'll Be Seeing You - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocal Frank Sinatra)
- Good Night, Wherever You Are - Russ Morgan & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?