Sunday 14 May 1944
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Lucas and Francesca Annis.
The Scarlet Claw, directed by Roy William Neill, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 14 May 1944 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- George Lucas: American director, writer, producer and film genius.
- Francesca Annis: London, England -- Actress (Madame Bovary, Dune).
- Jean-Louis Prevost: French business leader, the Acting President at Agence France Presse.
- Richard Blair: British engineer and noted family member, the son of writer George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) and his first wife Eileen O'Shaughnessy, adopted by them in June 1944.
- Jeanne-Marie Prefaut: French mother of an autistic daughter, Sophie.
- Gene Cornish: Ottawa, Ontario -- Rock bassist / vocalist (Fotomaker, Rascals).
- George Lucas in Modesto: California, USA; director (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark).
- Troy Shondell: rocker (Many Sides of Troy Shondell).
- British troops occupy Kohima.
- 91 German bombers harass Bristol, England.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- I'll Walk Alone - Louis Prima
- Bing Crosby - Swinging On A Star
- Long Ago (And Far Away) - Jo Stafford
- Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet - Ella Mae Morse
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?