Thursday 5 May 1938
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Murphy (actor) and Jerzy Skolimowski.
Joy of Living, directed by Tay Garnett, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
On TV people were watching The Boat Race.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 5 May 1938
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1938 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Jerzy Skolimowski: Warsaw, Poland -- Director (Hands Up, Deep End).
- Michael Murphy (actor)
- Mijanou Bardot: French actress, sister of Brigitte Bardot.
- Michael Murphy: Movie Actor.
- Michael Murphy in Los Angeles: California, USA; actor (McCabe and Mrs Miller, Unmarried Woman).
- Barbara Wagner: Canadian figure skater and coach.
- Bill Robertson: American businessman and politician (d. 2013).
- Johnnie Taylor: US gospel singer ("I Believe in You").
- Phillies Harold Kelleher faces 16 batters in 6th, as Cubs score 12 runs, both marks are NL records off one hurler in a single inning