Tuesday 4 May 1943
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Nickolas Ashford in Fairfield and Mikhail Chemiakin.
The Ox-Bow Incident, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
while The Human Comedy by William Saroyan was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 4 May 1943 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Mikhail Chemiakin: Russian painter.
- Nickolas Ashford in Fairfield: South Carolina, USA; singer (Ashford and Simpson - "Solid as a Rock").
- Daniel Lebègue: French government official, who served as an administrator of finances and the economy.
- Jacques Milliez: French physician, professor and novelist.
- Georgi Asparuhov: Bulgarian footballer (d. 1971).
- NL Ford Frick demonstrates revised balata ball to reporters by bouncing it on his office carpet ball proves to be 50% livelier
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?