Sunday 9 May 1943US date format: 5/9/1943, UK date format: 9/5/1943
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1943). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Emile Ardolino and Vince Cable.
The More the Merrier, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1943
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1943 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Emile Ardolino: Director (Dirty Dancing), dies at 50 of AIDS.
- Vince Cable: English economist and politician Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.
- Chriet Titulaer: Dutch astronomer and popular science and technology writer.
- Pat Barker: Writer.
- Colin Pillinger: English astronomer chemist and academic (d. 2014).
- Anders Isaksson: Swedish journalist, writer, and historian (Born 1943).
- Manuel Perez Martinez: Known as "El Cura Pérez" ("Pérez the Priest"), was leader of the Colombian National Liberation Army (ELN) over three decades.
- Rotschild-Haddassh University Hospital opens.
- 5th German Panser army surrenders in Tunisia.
- May 12 ampndash Japanese troops carry out the Changjiao massacre in Changjiao, Hunan, China.