Monday 4 May 1942
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 4, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Nickolas Ashford and Butch Otter.
Down Texas Way, directed by Howard Bretherton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 4 May 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1942 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Nickolas Ashford: American singer-songwriter pianist and producer (Ashford & Simpson) (d. 2011).
- Butch Otter: Politician.
- Ronnie Bond: drummer (Troggs - "Wild Thing").
- Alain Garcia: French-Algerian rapist, accused of 37 rapes or attempted rapes and suspected of as many as 100.
- Food 1st rationed in US
- Pulitzer prize awarded to Ellen Glasgow (In this our Life)
- Battle of Coral Sea begins (first sea battle fought solely in air).
- Food first rationed in US during war.
- German occupiers imprison 450 prominent Dutch as hostages.
- World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea begins with an attack by aircraft from the United States aircraft carrier USS Yorktown on Japanese naval forces at Tulagi Island in the Solomon Islands. The Japanese forces had invaded Tulagi the day before.