Tuesday 5 December 2006
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ava Kolker .
In that special week of December people in US were listening to I Wanna Love You by Akon.
In UK Patience by Take That was in the top 5 hits.
The Good Shepherd, directed by Robert De Niro, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Thunderstruck by Erik Larson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Strutter.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Conveni 200X or Test Drive Unlimited.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 December 2006!
Which were the important events of 5 December 2006 ?
- Thailand - The King's Birthday, National Day, Father's Day
- Day of the Ninja
- Austria - Krampus
- Also see December 5 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - formerly: Saint Sabas
- Roman festivals - Faunalia celebrated in honor of Faunus (according to Horace, Odes 3.18)
- Belgium, the Netherlands and the UK - Saint Nicholas Eve (whom Dutch speakers call Sinterklaas, which became in other languages Santa Claus)
- David Bronstein: Ukrainian-born chess grandmaster (Born 1924).
- Commodore Frank Bainimarama overthrows the government in Fiji.
- Yury Chaika, the Prosecutor General of Russia, has stated that Russia will not extradite any suspects in the radioactive poisoning death of Alexander Litvinenko. (CNN)
- The United States Senate Committee on Armed Services unanimously approves the nomination of Robert Gates to be the next United States Secretary of Defense. (Reuters)
- A majority of a 15-judge panel in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit rules that Kamehameha Schools can favour Native Hawaiians in admissions. (San Francisco Chronicle)
- An outbreak of ''E. coli'' bacteria has sickened more than a dozen people on Long Island, including several who ate at Taco Bell. Officials have asked eight Taco Bell restaurants be closed. (CBS)
- The Prime Minister of Fiji Laisenia Qarase warns that Fiji faces the imminent threat of a coup as troops reportedly surround his complex. Later, Fiji's military commander Frank Bainimarama confirmed that the military was in control of the country while the Foreign Minister of Australia Alexander Downer warned that Fiji would face international sanctions. (ABC)
- Early election results indicate that Marc Ravalomanana will be re-elected in a landslide as the President of Madagascar. (IOL)
- The French Government launches state-owned and controlled France 24, a 24-hour television news show. (NPR)
- U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan appoints former Mozambican President Joaquim Chissano as the new United Nations-envoy to negotiations between the Government of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army, a rebel paramilitary group. (BBC News)
- The World Chess Champion Vladimir Kramnik loses a final game and a match with a computer program, Fritz-10. The final score is 2-4. (Seattle Post)
- German painter Tomma Abts wins the 2006 Turner Prize. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 5 December 2006
Division 2Football (United Kingdom)
- Forfar - Stirling : 0 - 2
League 1Football (United Kingdom)
- Blackpool - Cheltenham : 2 - 1
- Bournemouth - Nott'm Forest : 2 - 0
- Brentford - Doncaster : 0 - 4
- Brighton - Swansea : 3 - 2
League 2Football (United Kingdom)
- Barnet - Grimsby : 0 - 1
- Bury - Walsall : 1 - 2
- Chester - Boston : 3 - 1
- Hereford - Peterboro : 0 - 0
Premier LeagueUK Soccer
- Charlton - Blackburn : 1 - 0
- Tottenham - Middlesbrough : 2 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?