Wednesday 6 June 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
Inseparable, directed by Dayyan Eng, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching World's Worst Musical.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Crazy Cars: Hit the Road or Dragon's Dogma.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 June 2012!
Which were the important events of 6 June 2012 ?
- Memorial Day - South Korea.
- Doomsday (weekday)
- Queensland Day.
- National holiday of Sweden.
- D-Day landings - Europe.
- Bonza Bottler Day - USA.
- National Yo-yo Day - USA.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 06 June
- NATO planes launch an air strike on Afghanistan, allegedly killing civilians in the process. (Al Jazeera)
- Arab Spring:
- Syrian uprising: Opposition activists on the ground in Syria report that a massacre has been committed in the small village of Qubair, Hama, by the government-hired Shabiha militia. Activists report 78 dead, mostly women and children. (BBC)
- Bahraini uprising: Bahraini authorities re-arrest Nabeel Rajab on suspicion of posting tweets seen as critical of the Bahraini regime. (BBC)
- 2012 Armenian-Azeri border clashes: a new clash kills an Armenian soldier. (panorama.am)
- At least twenty people are killed near Kandahar Airport in southern Afghanistan by a motorcycle bomb. (Reuters)
- Controversy is stoked after a video emerges of a U.S. religious minister outlining his plan to imprison the country's gay and lesbian population behind an electric fence until they die. (Al Jazeera)
- J. M. Coetzee and Nadine Gordimer are among those to criticise South Africa's ampquotsecrecy billampquot which they say could fundamentally threaten free speech and investigative journalism. (''The Guardian'')
- Broadway's ''Once'' wins four prizes at the Drama Desk Awards in New York. (BBC)
- An MRI reveals that singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow has a growth on her brain. (BBC)
- Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II:
- The BBC receives over 2,000 complaints from viewers about its Jubilee coverage. The broadcaster is also criticised by other media for its Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant coverage. (BBC)
- A group of Irish people are thrown out of the European Central Bank in Frankfurt after attempting to hand a letter of protest to the bank's president Mario Draghi. 's-way (''Cork Independent'')
- Ireland is hit by another earthquake, this time off the coast of County Mayo. (RTE)
- Hours after a bill to legalise settlement outposts is rejected, Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu orders the construction of 300 new homes at the Jewish settlement of Beit El in the West Bank. (Al Jazeera)
- Li Wangyang, a labour activist and Chinese dissident jailed after the 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing, is found dead in a hospital ward in central China, with foul play suspected. (Reuters UK)
- Kwame R. Brown, the Chair of the Council of the District of Columbia responsible for the US capital Washington D.C., resigns after being charged with bank fraud. (AP via ''Chicago Sun-Times'')
- The Solar Impulse, a solar plane, lands in Morocco, completing the world's first intercontinental flight powered by the Sun. (Associated Press)
- Cardiff City Football Club announces it is to change to a red kit from its traditional blue, effective immediately. (Press Association via ''The Guardian'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 June 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in June 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?