Sunday 17 June 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
Magic Mike, directed by Steven Soderbergh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jaffa Factory.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dead or Alive 5 or Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 June 2012!
Which were the important events of 17 June 2012 ?
- St. Albert Chmielowski.
- National holiday of West Germany until 1990, see Workers' Uprising of 1953 in East Germany.
- Iceland's national day, celebrating independence from Denmark in 1944.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 June
- Multiple bombings kill at least 12 people in the northern Nigerian state of Kaduna. (Al Jazeera)
- Google reveals it has removed so-called 'terrorism videos' from the web at the request of governments, as well as blocking more than 100 YouTube videos which allegedly insult the Thai monarchy. (BBC)
- A fire breaks out in a prison in the southeast Turkish province of Şanlıurfa, killing 13 prisoners. (BBC)
- Rodney King, whose videotaped beating by Los Angeles police officers in March 1991 later led to riots in April 1992, is found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool in Rialto, California. (Al Jazeera)
- Two Palestinians who attempt to rob an Israeli truck driver are shot dead in self defense near Hebron in the West Bank. (Ynet)
- Voters in Greece go to the polls for a second legislative election after the first election on May 6 failed to form a coalition government. (CNN)
- Voters in Egypt go to the polls for a second day to vote in the second round of a presidential election, with former prime minister Ahmed Shafik and Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party both competing for the presidency. (BBC)
- Voters in France go to the polls for legislative election with the Socialist Party winning a majority. (AP via ''Idaho Press-Tribune'')
- UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against The Football Association after England fans attempted to invade the pitch during their game with Sweden in Kiev. (UEFA)
- In tennis, David Nalbandian is disqualified from the final of the 2012 AEGON Championships after kicking an advertising board into the left shin of a line judge, seriously injuring him his opponent, Marin Čilić, who was trailing Nalbandian at the time, is awarded the title and Nalbandian stands to lose the prize money he would have received for finishing as runner-up. (Sky Sports)
- In golf, American Webb Simpson wins the U.S. Open. (NBC Sports)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 June 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in June 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?