Wednesday 20 June 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Magic Mike, directed by Steven Soderbergh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jaffa Factory.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dyad or Dream of Pixels.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 June 2012!
Which were the important events of 20 June 2012 ?
- American Radio Relay League ? Bring your Handy-Talky to Work Day
- West Virginia ? West Virginia Day.
- Flag Day in Argentina (1938).
- UNHCR - World Refugee Day.
- Ancient Latvia ? Zalu Diena.
- Roman Empire ? Festival in honor of Summanus.
- Day of The Royal Victorian Order.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 20 June
- A gunman is detained after seizing four hostages at the Crédit Industriel et Commercial bank in the southern French city of Toulouse, the same city where Mohammed Merah shot dead five people in March. (BBC)
- Rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip are followed by Israeli airstrikes in response, resulting in at least one death. (Al Jazeera)
- Turkey's military confirms it has carried out strikes on Kurdish rebel targets inside Iraq. (BBC)
- The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claims that at least 20 Syrian Army soldiers and five rebels are killed in heavy fighting near Latakia district. (Al Jazeera)
- Tribal clashes in western Libya lead to 105 people dead and some 500 injured. (BBC)
- Media mogul Rupert Murdoch launches a surprise takeover bid for billionaire James Packer's stake in Consolidated Media Holdings, a major stakeholder of Foxtel and Fox Sports Australia. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Larry Ellison, the American CEO of Oracle Corp, agrees to buy 98 per cent of the Hawaiian island of Lanai. (AP via ''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The United States Congress suggests to extend its military presence in Kuwait. (Al Jazeera)
- Fund for Peace releases its 2012 Failed States Index, with Libya, Japan, and Syria scoring the largest increases since the previous study. (''Fund for Peace'')
- The former Prime Minister of Romania, Adrian Năstase, narrowly survives a suicide attempt by gunshot to the throat following a controversial court decision sentencing him to two years in jail. (BBC)
- In Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, ousted from power in last year's revolution, is reported to in a coma and has been taken off life support. (BBC)
- The Supreme Elections Commission in Egypt announces that the results of the presidential election are not going to be released on Thursday due to complaints by rival candidates. (''USA Today'')
- Operation Fast and Furious:
- The United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform cites the Attorney-General Eric Holder for contempt of Congress for failing to cooperate with an investigation into Operation ampquotFast and Furiousampquot. (''The Washington Post'')
- UEFA Euro 2012's off-day is dominated by the fall-out of yesterday's ghost goal scored by Ukraine against England, with John Terry hooking the ball from behind the goal line after a shot by Marko Dević under the eyes of the additional assistant beside the goal. (Reuters via Yahoo!)
- Italy coach Cesare Prandelli thanks UEFA president Michel Platini after his side secured qualification for the quarter-finals, thanks in part to the extra officials beside the goal. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 June 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in June 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?