Saturday 9 January 1954
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lance Hoppens rocker (Orleans - "Still the One" and Philippa Gregory.
In UK Answer Me by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
David and Bathsheba, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while The Shadows Of The Images by William E. Barrett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Inner Sanctum.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 9 January 1954 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Lance Hoppens rocker (Orleans - "Still the One": "Dance With Me").
- Philippa Gregory: Kenyan-English author and academic.
- Bert Olmstead, Montreal Canadiens, ties NHL record of 8 points in game.
- Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to Louise Bogan and Leonie Adams.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1954 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?