Friday 14 April 1989
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dafina Zeqiri and Joe Haden.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals.
In UK Eternal Flame by The Bangles was in the top 5 hits.
Field of Dreams, directed by Phil Alden Robinson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Jim Henson Hour.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Beyond the Black Hole or Fire Shark Same! Same! Same!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 April 1989!
Which were the important events of 14 April 1989 ?
- Vishu - Harvest festival in Kerala, India.
- N'Ko Alphabet Day - the anniversary of the day the N'Ko alphabet was completed in 1949.
- Tamil New Year - Celebrations for Tamils all over the world.
- New Year Celebrations in parts of India and whole of Sri Lanka.
- Baisakhi - Celebrations in Punjab, India.
- Poila Baisakh - Celebrations in Bengal, India.
- Youth Day in Angola.
- Black Day - Informal celebration day for single people in South Korea.
- 2nd Day Passover (in 2006) - Jewish festival.
- Dafina Zeqiri: Kosovan-Swedish singer.
- Joe Haden: American football player.
- Chad Johnson: YouTube Star.
- Aleksei Alekseyev: Russian footballer.
- In the Iran-Contra trial, Oliver North's case goes to the jury.
- 1,100,000,000th Chinese born.
- The U.S. government seizes the Irvine, CA Lincoln Savings and Loan Association Charles Keating (for whom the Keating Five were named – John McCain among them) eventually goes to jail, as part of the massive 1980s Savings and Loan Crisis which costs U.S. taxpayers nearly $200 billion in bailouts, and many people their life savings. NY Times May 3, 1990
- The death of Hu Yaobang, which sparks the beginning of the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
- The Hillsborough disaster, one of the biggest tragedies in European football, claims the life of 96 Liverpool supporters.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 April 1989
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?