Saturday 1 April 1989
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries (see planets position on April 1, 1989). The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jan Blokhuijsen and Mikey Goldsworthy.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Eternal Flame by Bangles.
In UK Eternal Flame by The Bangles was in the top 5 hits.
Major League, directed by David S. Ward, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while Second Chances by Judith S. Wallerstein and Sandra Blakeslee was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Round the Twist.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Caliber .50 or Chicago 90.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 April 1989
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1989!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1989 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Jan Blokhuijsen: Dutch speed skater.
- Vietoris Krisztian: German racing driver.
- Mikey Goldsworthy: Bassist.
- David N'Gog: French footballer.
- Yumi Sugimoto: Japanese model actress and singer.
- Christian Vietoris: German race car driver.
- Henk Gortzak: Dutch Member of Parliament (CPN/PSP), dies at age 57.
- 1st New York Met-NY Yankee game in NYC since 1983, Yanks win 4-3
- A Bartlett Giamatti replaces Ueberroth as 7th commissioner of baseball
- Margaret Thatcher's new local government tax, the Community Charge (commonly known as the ''poll tax''), is introduced in Scotland.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in April 1989?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bangles - Eternal Flame
- Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
- Roxette - The Look
- Rod Stewart - My Heart Can't Tell You No
- Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
- Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
- Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur
- R.E.M. - Stand
- Vanessa Williams - Dreamin'
- Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes
Top #10 R&B songs
- The Boys - Lucky Charm
- All I Want Is Forever (From "Tap") - James "J.T." Taylor & Regina Belle
- Today - Girl I Got My Eyes On You
- Jonathan Butler - More Than Friends
- Ashford & Simpson - I'll Be There For You
- Freddie Jackson - You And I Got A Thang
- Surface - Closer Than Friends
- Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
- Donna Allen - Joy And Pain
- Karyn White - Love Saw It
Top #10 Latin songs
- Como Tu - Jose Jose
- Asi Fue - Isabel Pantoja
- HOMBRES AL BORDE DE UN ATAQUE DE CELOS - Yuri
- MALA SUERTE - Vikki Carr
- QUE ESPERABAS DE MI - Rocio Durcal
- Un Hombre Busca Una Mujer - Luis Miguel
- ES EL AMOR QUE LLEGA - Ana Gabriel
- UN TIEMPO PARA NOSOTROS - Braulio
- Ya No Puedo Volver Contigo - Marisela
- Gipsy Kings - BAMBOLEO
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?