Thursday 14 September 1989
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 14, 1989). The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Logan Henderson and Lee Jong-suk.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Don't Wanna Lose You by Gloria Estefan.
In UK Ride On Time by Black Box was in the top 5 hits.
Black Rain, directed by Ridley Scott, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Good Times by Russell Baker was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Alien Nation.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Blood Money or Castlevania: The Adventure.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 14 September 1989
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1989!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1989 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Logan Henderson: American actor and musician (Big Time Rush).
- Lee Jong-suk: TV Actor.
- Jessica Brown Findlay
- Pana Hema Taylor
- Jessica Findlay: English actress.
- Damaso Perez Prado: Cuban musician (Born 1916).
- Calgary Flames become 1st NHL team to play in the USSR, win 4-2
- Jeff Reardon is 1st to record 30 saves in 5 consecutive seasons
- September 17–22 ndash Hurricane Hugo devastates the Caribbean and the southeastern United States, causing at least 71 deaths and $8 billion in damage.
- The Catholic Church calls for removal of the Carmelite convent located near the former Auschwitz concentration camp, whose presence had offended some Jewish leaders.
- Explosion of UTA Flight 772 over Niger, killing all 171 people on board. The Islamic Jihad Organization claims responsibility.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gloria Estefan - Don't Wanna Lose You
- Milli Vanilli - Girl I'm Gonna Miss You
- Warrant - Heaven
- New Kids On The Block - Hangin' Tough
- Surface - Shower Me With Your Love
- Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted
- Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time
- Skid Row - 18 And Life
- The Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
- Madonna - Cherish
Top #10 R&B songs
- Eric Gable - Remember (The First Time)
- Sharon Bryant - Let Go
- Eddie Murphy - Put Your Mouth On Me
- E.U. - Taste Of Your Love
- Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly - Can't Get Over You
- My Fantasy (From "Do The Right Thing") - Teddy Riley Featuring Guy
- I Do - Natalie Cole (Duet With Freddie Jackson)
- The Isley Brothers - Spend The Night (Ce Soir)
- Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul (Featuring Caron Wheeler)
- Sybil - Don't Make Me Over
Top #10 Latin songs
- Gloria Estefan - Si voy a perderte
- Ana Gabriel - Simplemente Amigos
- A donde vayas - Los Bukis
- Te Amo - Franco de Vita
- Jose Luis Rodriguez - BAILA MI RUMBA
- Y Voy Hacer Feliz - Marisela
- Aunque mal paguen ellas - Roberto Carlos/Vicente Fernandez
- Emmanuel - Quisiera
- La Incondicional - Luis Miguel
- Lucerito - Cuentame
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?