Sunday 14 September 1958
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John Bennett Herrington and Beth Nielsen Chapman.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare) by Domenico Modugno.
In UK When by The Kalin Twins was in the top 5 hits.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, directed by Richard Brooks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while The Once And Future King by Terence Hanbury White was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Northwest Passage.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1958!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1958 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- John Bennett Herrington: Wetumka, Oklahoma -- Lieutenant Commander USN / Astronaut.
- Beth Nielsen Chapman: American singer-songwriter.
- Terry Dubrow: Doctor.
- Paul Clark: English footballer and manager.
- Jeff Crowe: New Zealand cricketer referee and manager.
- Arlindo Cruz: Brazilian singer-songwriter (Grupo Fundo de Quintal)
- Beth Chapman: American singer-songwriter
- Jackie Pung wins LPGA Jackson Golf Open
- WTAE TV channel 4 in Pittsburgh, PA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- Yankees win 24th pennant, and 9th under Casey Stengel
- The first two German post-war rockets, designed by the German engineer Ernst Mohr, reach the upper atmosphere.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- The Elegants - Little Star
- The Everly Brothers - Bird Dog
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Jack Scott - My True Love
- Bobby Day - Rock-In Robin
- Frankie Avalon - Ginger Bread
- The Olympics - Western Movies
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?