Sunday September 16, 1979
US date format: 9/16/1979, UK date format: 16/9/1979
Is this your lucky day? Bet on the figures of this date here
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 16, 1979). The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Aileen Celeste and Tiago Bettencourt.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Heartland, directed by Richard Pearce, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Shibumi by Trevanian was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Face the Music.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ozma Wars or Alien Attack.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 16, 1979?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- See more
- 23rd Ryder Cup: US, 17-11 at Greenbrier
- Nur Mohammed Taraki: President of Afghanistan (1978-79),...
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 16, 1979?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Little River Band - Lonesome Loser
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
- Chic - Good Times
- Commodores - Sail On
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
- Ashford & Simpson - Found A Cure
- Cameo - I Just Want To Be
- Chic - Good Times
- Mass Production - Firecracker
- Earth, Wind & Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- The O'Jays - Sing A Happy Song
- Teddy Pendergrass - Turn Off The Lights
- GQ - Make My Dreams A Reality
- Five Special - Why Leave Us Alone
Sport Games on September 16, 1979
- Baltimore Colts - Cleveland Browns : 10 - 13
- Buffalo Bills - San Diego Chargers : 19 - 27
- Chicago Bears - Dallas Cowboys : 20 - 24
- Denver Broncos - Atlanta Falcons : 20 - 17
- Detroit Lions - New York Jets : 10 - 31
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?