Sunday 16 September 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Aileen Celeste and Fanny .
In that special week of September people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
The Onion Field, directed by Harold Becker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while A Woman Of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Struck by Lightning.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Auto Racing or Trek-80.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1979!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1979 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Aileen Celeste: Venezuelan actress.
- Fanny : French singer, reminds many of singer Edith Piaf.
- Flo Rida: Rapper.
- Bobby Korecky: American baseball player.
- Nur Mohammed Taraki: President of Afghanistan (1978-79), killed.
- 23rd Ryder Cup: US, 17-11 at Greenbrier
- Coup in Afghanistan under Hafizullah Amin
- Nancy Lopez / JoAnn Washam wins Portland- Ping Team Golf Championship
- Catfish Hunter Day at Yankee Stadium.
- Two families flee from East Germany by balloon.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Little River Band - Lonesome Loser
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
- Chic - Good Times
- Commodores - Sail On
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 16 September 1979
- Baltimore Colts - Cleveland Browns : 10 - 13
- Buffalo Bills - San Diego Chargers : 19 - 27
- Chicago Bears - Dallas Cowboys : 20 - 24
- Denver Broncos - Atlanta Falcons : 20 - 17
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?