Saturday September 22, 1979
US date format: 9/22/1979, UK date format: 22/9/1979
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 22, 1979). The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Jericho Rosales and Emilie Autumn.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Lahu Ke Do Rang, directed by Mahesh Bhatt, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Quest For The Best by Stanley Marcus was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Face the Music.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Star Fire or Apple Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 22, 1979?
- Saint Emmeramus
- Saint Florentius
- In ancient Latvia, the first day of Mikeli, the Catching of Jumis.
- In ancient Greece, the ninth and final day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates made offerings to the dead.
- See more
- Israel performs nuclear test at Indian Ocean
- Larry Parrish (Expos) HRs off Rawly Eastwick (Phillies) in DH
- The Vela Incident (also known as the South Atlantic Flash) is observed near Bouvet Island, thought to be a nuclear weapons test.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 22, 1979?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Herb Alpert - Rise
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Little River Band - Lonesome Loser
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
- Commodores - Sail On
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
- Ashford & Simpson - Found A Cure
- Cameo - I Just Want To Be
- Mass Production - Firecracker
- Chic - Good Times
- Earth, Wind & Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- The O'Jays - Sing A Happy Song
- GQ - Make My Dreams A Reality
- Funkadelic - (Not Just) Knee Deep - Part 1
- Commodores - Sail On
Make this day unforgettable
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next September 22If September 22, 1979 is your birthday you're 41 years, 6 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 months, 25 days.
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Frequently Asked Questions
What day of the week was on September 22, 1979?
On September 22, 1979 the day of the week was Saturday.
What zodiac sign is September 22, 1979?
On September 22, 1979 the zodiac sign was Virgo.
Who was the US President on September 22, 1979?
On September 22, 1979 the US President was Jimmy Carter (Democrat).
Who was the UK Prime Minister on September 22, 1979?
On September 22, 1979 the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative).
Who was the Pope on September 22, 1979?
On September 22, 1979 Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Which famous people are born on September 22, 1979?
On September 22, 1979 several famous people were born including, Jericho Rosales, Emilie Autumn, Roberto Saviano.
What was the number one song in September 22, 1979?
The number one song in the week of September 22, 1979 was My Sharona by The Knack in US and We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard in UK.
What were the top hits on September 22, 1979?
The top hits on September 22, 1979 were My Sharona by The Knack, After The Love Has Gone by Earth, Wind and Fire, The Devil Went Down To Georgia by Charlie Daniels Band in US and We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard, Cars by Gary Numan, Bang Bang by BA Robertson in UK.