Sunday 23 September 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Red and Erik-Michael Estrada.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Luna, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sonne, Wein und harte Nüsse.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Invasion Orion or Starhawk.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 September 1979!
Which were the important events of 23 September 1979 ?
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Adomnan of Iona, Saint Constantius, Saint Thecla.
- French Republican Calendar - Safran (Saffron) Day, second day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Saudi Arabia - National Day (unification 1932)
- Japanese Autumnal equinox Day (????/Sh?bun no hi)
- Celebrate Bisexuality Day - September 23rd of every year is designated as Celebrate Bisexuality Day and celebrated by members of the bisexual community and their allies worldwide. Observed annually since 1999.
- Also see September 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In ancient Latvia, the second day of Mikeli
- Astrology: Usually the first day of sun sign Libra in the tropical zodiac.
- Traditional New Year's Day in Constantinople and Eastern Orthodox churches ? because of the birthday of August, not because of the equinox.
- Red: Los Angeles, California -- Rapper (Another Bad Creation).
- Erik-Michael Estrada: Rock Singer.
- Ricky Davis: American basketball player.
- Bryant McKinnie: American football player.
- Fábio Simplício: Brazilian footballer.
- Lote Tuqiri: Fijian/Australian Rugby League and Rugby Union Player
- Catherine Lacey: Actress (October Man, Carnival), dies at 75.
- Sandra Post wins LPGA ERA Real Estate Golf Classic
- Somali constitution approved by President
- St. Louis legend Lou Brock steals 938th and final base of his career
- Jane Fonda and 200,000 attend anti-nuke rally in Battery Park, New York City.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 September 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Herb Alpert - Rise
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Little River Band - Lonesome Loser
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
- Commodores - Sail On
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?