Wednesday 17 August 1988
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Brady Corbet and Erika Toda.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Roll With It by Steve Winwood.
In UK The Only Way Is Up by Yazz & The Plastic Population was in the top 5 hits.
Betrayed, directed by Costa-Gavras, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching First Impressions.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Laser Squad.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 August 1988
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1988!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1988 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Brady Corbet: American actor director and screenwriter.
- Erika Toda: Japanese actress.
- Bianca Collins: American actress.
- Nichole Cordova: Performer (Girlicious).
- Jihadi John: Kuwaiti member of ISIS (d. 2015).
- Victoria Shaw: Australian actress and astrologer.
- Mohammad Zia Ul-Haq: President of Pakistan (1978-88), dies at 63.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Jr: American lawyer and politician (Representative-Democrat-New York, 1949-55) dies on 74th birthday (born 1914).
- Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq: Pakistan military leader, sixth President of Pakistan from 1978 until his death in 1988, having declared martial law for the third time in the country's history in 1977.
- LIRR says Penn station will get air conditioning in 1991
- Republicans nominate George Bush for President
- New York City first case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (9-year-old Bronx boy).
- Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq and U.S. Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed in a plane crash.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Steve Winwood - Roll With It
- George Michael - Monkey
- Gloria Estefan - 1-2-3
- Elton John - I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
- Eric Carmen - Make Me Lose Control
- Chicago - I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
- Breathe - Hands To Heaven
- Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name
- Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
- Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Top #10 R&B songs
- Loosey's Rap - Rick James Featuring Roxanne Shante
- Freddie Jackson - Nice 'N' Slow
- Loose Ends - Watching You
- Keith Sweat (Duet With Jacci McGhee) - Make It Last Forever
- Troop - Mamacita
- Al B. Sure! - Off On Your Own (Girl)
- Guy - Groove Me
- Shirley Murdock - Husband
- Gregory Hines - That Girl Wants To Dance With Me
- Whitney Houston - Love Will Save The Day
Top #10 Latin songs
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?