Monday 17 January 1944
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Françoise Hardy and Carole Yawney.
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, directed by Arthur Lubin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching At Home.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1944!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1944 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Françoise Hardy: French chanson singer and actress seen most notably in German films.
- Carole Yawney: Canadian Professor of Sociology at York University; interested in astrology.
- Francoise Hardy: French singer.
- Joe Frazier: Beaufort sports Champions.
- Ann Oakley: English sociologist author and academic.
- Korvet Violet sinks U-641 in Atlantic Ocean
- World War II: Allied forces launch the first of four battles with the intention of breaking through the Winter Line and seizing Rome, an effort that would ultimately take four months and cost 105,000 Allied casualties.
- British forces in Italy cross the Garigliano River.
- Meat rationing ends in Australia.
- The Soviet Union ceases production of the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 sniper rifle.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?