Wednesday 17 January 1945
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Marie Delarue and Jeanette Fitzsimmons.
A Song to Remember, directed by Charles Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
On TV people were watching La piste aux étoiles (1945 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1945!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1945 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Jean-Marie Delarue: French senior official, a State Councillor and 'Contrôleur général des lieux de privation de liberté' (head of an independent body overseeing the treatment of prisoners) from 2008 to 2014.
- Jeanette Fitzsimmons: New Zealand politician, the Greens' co-leader and probably the first Green Party candidate in the world to win an electorate seat.
- Claude Guéant: French civil servant, he studied law at Paris University and entered "Sciences-Po" and ENA.
- Javed Akhtar: Indian lyricist, poet and scriptwriter.
- Anne Cutler: Australian psychologist and academic.
- Liberation of Warsaw by Soviet troops (end of Nazi occupation)
- The Nazis begin the evacuation of the Auschwitz concentration camp as Soviet forces close in.
- Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg leaves Budapest with his driver and three Russian officers for a pre-approved meeting with Soviet commanders in Debrecen, east of Budapest, to discuss his humanitarian work with Jews.
- Gilbert Dodds, record miler (4:05.3), retires to do gospel work.
- Auschwitz concentration camp begins evacuation.
- World War II: Soviet forces capture the almost completely destroyed Polish city of Warsaw.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 January 1945
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra - Always
- You Always Hurt the One You Love - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?