Monday 21 December 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius (see planets position on December 21, 1959). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Corinne Touzet and Florence Griffith Joyner.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Heartaches By The Number by Guy Mitchell.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
Our Man in Havana, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ape In Me by Cornelia Otis Skinner was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Secret Garden.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 21 December 1959
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 1959!
Which were the important events of 21 December 1959 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
- Corinne Touzet: French actress (especially TV), comedian on stage, and producer, of West Indian descent.
- Florence Griffith Joyner: American athlete (Born 1959).
- Sergio Rubini: Italian film actor and director, he is married actress Margherita Buy.
- Serge Amoruso: French designer of quality leather goods, specializing in bespoke hand-stitches bags, luggage and accessories.
- Florence Joyner: American field and track star, actress and businesswoman.
- Rosanjin: Japanese calligrapher, restaurateur and ceramicist (Born 1883).
- 10th largest snowfall in NYC history (13.7)
- Shah of Persia marries Farah Diba
- Tom Landry accepts coaching job with Dallas Cowboys (stays until 1988).
- Citizens of Deerfield, Illinois, block building of interracial housing.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in December 1959?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Bobby Rydell - We Got Love
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Fabian - Hound Dog Man
Top #10 R&B songs
- Brook Benton - So Many Ways
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Come Into My Heart
- The Spacemen - The Clouds
- Sammy Turner - Always
- Jackie Wilson - Talk That Talk
- The Drifters - Dance With Me
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Marv Johnson - You Got What It Takes
- In The Mood - Ernie Fields & Orch.
- Fats Domino - Be My Guest
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?