Monday 21 December 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Corinne Touzet and Florence Griffith Joyner.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Heartaches By The Number by Guy Mitchell.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
Solomon and Sheba, directed by King Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Folk Medicine by Deforest Clinton Jarvis was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ivor the Engine.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 1959!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 21 December 1959 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
- Corinne Touzet: French actress (especially TV), comedian on stage, and producer, of West Indian descent.
- Florence Griffith Joyner: American athlete (Born 1959).
- Sergio Rubini: Italian film actor and director, he is married actress Margherita Buy.
- Serge Amoruso: French designer of quality leather goods, specializing in bespoke hand-stitches bags, luggage and accessories.
- Florence Joyner: American field and track star, actress and businesswoman.
- Rosanjin: Japanese calligrapher, restaurateur and ceramicist (Born 1883).
- 10th largest snowfall in NYC history (13.7)
- Shah of Persia marries Farah Diba
- Tom Landry accepts coaching job with Dallas Cowboys (stays until 1988).
- Citizens of Deerfield, Illinois, block building of interracial housing.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Bobby Rydell - We Got Love
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Fabian - Hound Dog Man
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?