Thursday 24 December 1959, Christmas Eve
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 24, 1959). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lee Daniels and Chris Blackhurst.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Heartaches By The Number by Guy Mitchell.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
Our Man in Havana, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Devil'S Advocate by Morris L. West was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Secret Garden.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 December 1959
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1959!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1959 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in December 1959?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Bobby Rydell - We Got Love
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Fabian - Hound Dog Man
Top #10 R&B songs
- Brook Benton - So Many Ways
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Come Into My Heart
- The Spacemen - The Clouds
- Sammy Turner - Always
- Jackie Wilson - Talk That Talk
- The Drifters - Dance With Me
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Marv Johnson - You Got What It Takes
- In The Mood - Ernie Fields & Orch.
- Fats Domino - Be My Guest
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?