Monday 23 April 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on April 23, 2012). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
Piggy, directed by Kieron Hawkes, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Stay Close by Harlan Coben was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Any Day Now.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Diamond Trust of London or Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 April 2012
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 2012!
Which were the important events of 23 April 2012 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 April
- At least two people are killed and hundreds of others injured in clashes between police and protestors during a nationwide strike in Bangladesh, which was triggered by the unexplained disappearance of opposition politician Ilyas Ali. (Al Jazeera)
- Iran's oil ministry and its National Iranian Oil Company suffers a malware attack by a computer virus. (''New York Times'')
- Arab Spring:
- Bahraini uprising: Bahrain's highest appeals court postpones for a week the final verdict in the case of imprisoned hunger striker Abdulhadi al-Khawaja and 20 other democracy activists. (BBC)
- Syrian uprising: Syrian regime forces kill at least 33 people with shells and gunfire in the city of Hama. (BBC)
- The Egyptian government denies licenses to eight U.S. civil society groups, including the Carter Center. (BBC)
- A festival of William Shakespeare's 37 plays performed polyglotically, from Swahili to sign language, begins as part of the World Shakespeare Festival on the anniversary of the Bard of Avon's birth. (BBC)
- Brazilian actor Tiago Klimeck dies at the age of 27 after accidentally hanging himself while playing Judas in an Easter Passion play performed in Itararé, São Paulo. (BBC)
- White House lawyers launch an internal investigation into the role its advance staff may have played in the U.S. Secret Service sex scandal in Colombia, though no evidence has been found to implicate anyone in the scandal. (BBC)
- Kazakhstan issues an official ‘thank you’ to Sacha Baron Cohen for his comedy character Borat Sagdiyev despite an initial ban. (''Daily Mail'')
- The European Union suspends most trade sanctions against Myanmar for a year but leaves an arms embargo in place. (AFP via Google News)
- North Korea threatens to reduce South Korea to ampquotashesampquot after the failed North Korean rocket launch. (''Toronto Star'')
- In accordance with a request from the South Korean government, China stops the deportation of North Korean defectors who escape to China. (''Daily Yomiuri'')
- Former Icelandic prime minister Geir Haarde is found not guilty of negligence over the island's 2008 economic meltdown. He is to face no punishment and his legal expenses are to be paid. (BBC)
- The sister of MI6 officer Gareth Williams, found dead in his flat, tells his inquest that he had been a ampquotscrupulous risk-assessorampquot and only let ampquotvettedampquot people into his home. (BBC)
- Sky News email hacking:
- The British broadcasting regulator Ofcom launches an investigation into the hacking of private email accounts by Sky News. (BBC)
- The Ofcom announcement comes on the same day that the news channel's boss John Ryley appears before the Leveson Inquiry where he says the company broke the law by hacking emails. (BBC)
- Officials in Florida refuse to allow Bill Lee, the police chief who did not arrest George Zimmerman after he shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, to resign. George Zimmerman, now facing a murder charge, is released on bail and taken to a secret location. (BBC)
- The North Carolina trial of former U.S. Senator and presidential hopeful John Edwards, concerning the use of illegal campaign donations to cover up an affair with a mistress, begins. (Reuters)
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 23 April 2012
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Aachen - Ein Frankfurt : 0 - 3
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Osasuna - Malaga : 1 - 1
Division 2Football (France)
- Bastia - Chateauroux : 2 - 1
ChampionshipFootball (United Kingdom)
- Leicester - West Ham : 1 - 2
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know
- Fun. - We Are Young
- The Wanted - Glad You Came
- One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
- Justin Bieber - Boyfriend
- Flo Rida - Wild Ones
- Nicki Minaj - Starships
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
- Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
- Katy Perry - Part Of Me
Top #10 R&B songs
- Climax - Usher
- Birthday Cake - Rihanna Featuring Chris Brown
- Love On Top - Beyonce
- The Motto - Drake Featuring Lil Wayne
- UP! - LoveRance Featuring IamSu & Skipper or 50 Cent
- Drank In My Cup - Kirko Bangz
- Strip - Chris Brown Featuring Kevin K-MAC McCall
- Another Round - Fat Joe Featuring Chris Brown
- Ayy Ladies - Travis Porter Featuring Tyga
- Leave You Alone - Young Jeezy Featuring Ne-Yo
Top #10 Latin songs
- Michel Telo - Ai Se Eu Te Pego
- Fuiste Tu - Ricardo Arjona Featuring Gaby Moreno
- Intentalo - 3BallMTY Featuring El Bebeto y America Sierra
- Bailando Por El Mundo - Juan Magan Featuring Pitbull & El Cata
- Llamada de Mi Ex - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Dutty Love - Don Omar Featuring Natti Natasha
- Amor Confuso - Gerardo Ortiz
- Las Cosas Pequenas - Prince Royce
- Corre! - Jesse & Joy
- Lovumba (Prestige) - Daddy Yankee
Top #10 Rock songs
- We Are Young - fun. Featuring Janelle Monae
- Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye Featuring Kimbra
- Bully - Shinedown
- Gold On The Ceiling - The Black Keys
- These Days - Foo Fighters
- The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
- Tongue Tied - Grouplove
- I Like It - Foxy Shazam
- Don't Stop (Color On The Walls) - Foster The People
- M83. - Midnight City
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?