Wednesday 24 October 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Amanda Aardsma and Ben Gillies.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Rise by Herb Alpert.
In UK Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles was in the top 5 hits.
...And Justice for All., directed by Norman Jewison, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Rose of Versailles.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Samurai (Europe) Dynasty! (US) or Galaxian.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1979!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1979 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Amanda Aardsma: Miss Colorado Teen USA (1997).
- Ben Gillies: Australian drummer and songwriter (Silverchair and Tambalane).
- Marijonas Petravičius: Lithuanian basketball player.
- Billy Martin punches a marshmallow salesman, puts job in jeopardy
- Guinness Book of Records presents Paul McCartney with a rhodium disc.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?