Sunday 21 October 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Khalil Greene and Gabe Gross.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Rise by Herb Alpert.
In UK Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles was in the top 5 hits.
...And Justice for All., directed by Norman Jewison, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Dead Zone by Stephen King was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Rose of Versailles.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Space or Galaxian.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1979!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1979 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Khalil Greene: American baseball player.
- Gabe Gross: American baseball player.
- Karl Harris: English motorcycle racer (d. 2014).
- Shiho Takano: Japanese actress.
- 10th NYC Marathon won by Bill Rodgers in 2:11:42
- Greta Weitz wins woman participation in NYC marathon (02:27:33)
- Israeli Minister of Foreign Affairs Moshe Dayan resigns
- Ozzie Newsome begins NFL streak of 150 consecutive game receptions
- Moshe Dayan resigns from the Israeli government because of strong disagreements with Prime Minister Menachem Begin over policy towards the Arabs.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 21 October 1979
- Atlanta Falcons - San Francisco 49ers : 15 - 20
- Baltimore Colts - Buffalo Bills : 14 - 13
- Chicago Bears - Minnesota Vikings : 27 - 30
- Cincinnati Bengals - Cleveland Browns : 27 - 28
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?