Friday December 31, 1965, NewYear’s Eve
US date format: 12/31/1965, UK date format: 31/12/1965
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on December 31, 1965). The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Wilson (Labour), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Gong Li and Jérôme Bertin.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Sounds Of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.
In UK Yeh Yeh by Georgie Fame was in the top 5 hits.
7 Women, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1965
while Those Who Love by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jackanory.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of December 31, 1965?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- Jean-Bedel Bokassa, leader of the Central African Republic army, and his military officers begins a coup d'etat against the government of President David Dacko.
- Bokassa takes power in the Central Africa Republic.
- Tokyo officially becomes the largest city of the world, taking the lead from New York City.
- The Council for National Academic Awards is established in the UK.
- See more
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 31, 1965?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds Of Silence
- The Beatles - We Can Work It Out
- James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)
- The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)
- The Dave Clark Five - Over And Over
- The 4 Seasons - Let's Hang On
- The McCoys - Fever
- The Righteous Brothers - Ebb Tide
- Roger Miller - England Swings
- Eddy Arnold - Make The World Go Away
Top #9 songs in the UK
Top #6 R&B songs
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free