Saturday 31 December 2011, NewYear’s Eve
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Catherine The Great by Robert K. Massie was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Beautiful Homes.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Army Attack or Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 31 December 2011 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 December
- 2011 Syrian uprising: An Arab League observer witnesses snipers in the Syrian city of Deraa and calls for their immediate removal. (Al Jazeera)
- Two members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party die in a battle with Turkish police in the city of Diyarbakir. (AFP via ''West Australian'')
- Ethiopian forces capture the central Somali town of Beledweyne from al-Shabaab Islamist militants. (BBC)
- The President of Sudan Omar Hassan al-Bashir urges members of the Darfur based Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) to seek peace following the recent death of rebel leader Ibrahim Khalil. (Reuters)
- Nigerian unrest
- The President of Nigeria Goodluck Jonathan declares a state of emergency in the states of Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau due to violence by the Islamist sect Boko Haram. (AFP via ABC News Australia)
- Clashes in Ebonyi State in eastern Nigeria kill at least fifty people. (Reuters via Yahoo! News)
- Nigeria shuts borders with the countries Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. (The Sun)
- Six thousand people from the Lou Nuer tribe in South Sudan attack the town of Pibor as a result of a dispute over cattle rustling. (BBC)
- Authorities in Chile close the Torres del Paine National Park, amid an ongoing forest fire in Patagonia. (euronews)
- More than 200 people are injured by illegally huge firecrackers and celebratory gunfire in the Philippines. (IOL)
- The death toll from Cyclone Thane in southern India rises to at least 33 with 21 people dead in Cuddalore. (AFP via Yahoo News)
- A Chinese bus driver dies of bird flu in the city of Shenzhen in Guangdong province. (Xinhua)
- The United States announced that they will sell $30 billion in McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle fighter jets to Saudi Arabia. (CNN)
- A 4.0-magnitude earthquake hits Ohio, with no immediate reports of damage. (MSNBC)
- In Hollywood, a string of 35 fires burned within 5 hours that caused at least $350,000 in damage. (CNN)
- United States President Barack Obama signs the National Defense Authorization Act into law allowing the indefinite imprisonment of any United States citizen under suspect of terrorism without need of trial. (Forbes)
- Kim Jong-un is named as the Supreme Commander of North Korea's armed forces following the death of his father Kim Jong-Il. (AP via ''The Australian'')
- NASA succeeds in putting the first of two Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory satellites in orbit around the moon. (BBC)
- In motor sports, WilliamsF1 co-founder Patrick Head resigns as a director of the team after 34 years in Formula One. (''Autosport'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 31 December 2011
ChampionshipFootball (United Kingdom)
- Barnsley - Leeds : 4 - 1
- Birmingham - Blackpool : 3 - 0
- Burnley - Hull : 1 - 0
- Coventry - Brighton : 2 - 0
Division 3Football (United Kingdom)
- Stranraer - Annan Athletic : 4 - 2
League 1Football (United Kingdom)
- Brentford - Milton Keynes Dons : 3 - 3
- Colchester - Exeter : 2 - 0
- Leyton Orient - Charlton : 1 - 0
- Oldham - Notts County : 3 - 2
League 2Football (United Kingdom)
- AFC Wimbledon - Southend : 1 - 4
- Aldershot - Plymouth : 0 - 0
- Bradford - Shrewsbury : 3 - 1
- Bristol Rvs - Crewe : 2 - 5
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?