Tuesday 20 December 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Koa Egan .
In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shaktimaan Animated.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bastion or Ben 10: Galactic Racing.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 20 December 2011 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Dominic of Silos
- Also see December 20 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The first All Faiths Day was celebrated in 2003 in Canandaigua, New York.
- Koa Egan: Irish noted family member, the eldest child of Irish musician Kian Egan and his English actress wife Jodi Albert.
- Syria says it will execute anyone who participates in ampquotterrorist actsampquot, under a new law. (CNN)
- Chinese police beat protesters and fire tear gas after demonstrators storm government buildings in Haimen (70km NNW from Shanghai), in protest against a local 'polluting' coal-powered electricity generation plant. (AFP via Google)
- Indian Foreign Minister S. M. Krishna condemns a court case in Russia that could see the ''Bhagavad Gita As It Is'' holy book banned there. (''The Statesman'')
- The death toll from Tropical Storm Washi in the Philippines rises to nearly 1,000. (CBC)
- A Socata TBM-700 small plane crashes onto Interstate 287 in Northern New Jersey, killing 5. (''New York Times'')
- Diplomats from the European Union, Non-aligned Movement and the Arab States Group on the UN Security Council criticise Israeli settlement activities in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Former ''Daily Mirror'' editor Piers Morgan appears before the Leveson Inquiry via videolink from the United States to deny knowledge of hacking at the paper. (BBC)
- Death of Kim Jong-il:
- The body of Kim Jong-il lies in state at the Kumsusan Memorial Palace in Pyongyang. (Al Jazeera)
- Villagers rebelling in village of Wukan in southern China, say they will hold talks with the government and demand concessions in return for calling off a march. (Reuters)
- Joseph Kabila is sworn in as President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, despite the presidency being contested by opposition leader Etienne Tshisekedi. (ABC)
- Thousands of Egyptian women demonstrate against abuses by military police. (''New York Times'')
- Worldwide controversy erupts over a plan by Dutch scientists to publish findings relating to the development of a mutated strain of H5N1, that could potentially cause a worldwide pandemic that could kill millions. Bioterrorism watchdogs also express immense concern over the development of the virus (which is presently stored in Erasmus MC, Rotterdam). (FOX News)
- Two Earth-sized planets, Kepler-20e and Kepler-20d, are found orbiting a star 950 light-years away from Earth. ( (''Wall Street Journal''))
- The National Collegiate Athletic Association announces that it is penalizing the Ohio State Buckeyes football program with a one-year bowl game ban, among other penalties, as a result of a scandal at the program. Former head coach Jim Tressel is given a 5-year show-cause penalty as well. (ESPN)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 December 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?