1924 opens with the death of Soviet leader Lenin on January 21st. His successor Joseph Stalin begins a series of political purges that’ll ensure his total dominance within the hierarchy of the Soviet Union, a post he held for 30 years.
Stalin would go on to become one of the most influential political figures of the 20th century.
In the United Kingdom, Ramsay MacDonald becomes the first Labour Prime Minister on January 22nd, heralding the party’s political importance in decades to come.
The year also marks the abolishment of the 1400-year-old Islamic Caliphate in Turkey. All the while, the international community is trying to deal with the issues around war reparations from Germany after World War I. 1924 was a big year for the United States.
President Calvin Coolidge became the first President to deliver a radio address from the White House on February 22nd and, on June 2nd, signed the Indian Citizenship Act into law. He was re-elected for a second term in November. J. Edgar Hoover is appointed head of the Bureau of Investigation, which became the famous Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) under his leadership. Finally, Nellie Taylor-Ross of Wyoming became the first woman elected governor.
In sports, France held both the Winter and Summer Olympics, in Chamonix and Paris, respectively. In the arts, George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue was performed for the first time at New York City’s Aeolian Hall and French author André Breton published the first Surrealist Manifesto. In science, astronomer Edwin Hubble (after whom the Hubble Space Telescope is named) discovers that Andromeda is in fact a galaxy, as opposed to a nebula.
Notable births in 1934 include American actor Marlon Brando, Armenian-French singer Charles Aznavour, American conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly and former U.S. President and Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Jimmy Carter.
All Nobel Prize winners of 1924
- Władysław Reymont
- Manne Siegbahn
Physiology or Medicine
- Willem Einthoven
Which were the top hits of 1924?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1924?
- 03 Jan 1924 British egyptologist Howard Carter finds sarcophagus of Tutankhamun
- 10 Jan 1924 The British submarine ''L-24'' sinks in the English Channel 43 are killed.
- 12 Jan 1924 History of Science Society organized at Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- 13 Jan 1924 Nationalist Wafd-party wins Egyptian parliament elections.
- 14 Jan 1924 Allies direct Fiume (Rijeka) in Italy.
- 16 Jan 1924 Eleftherios Venizelos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for the fourth time.
- 22 Jan 1924 KGO-AM in San Francisco CA begins radio transmissions
- 23 Jan 1924 Ramsey MacDonald forms first Labour government in Britain.
- 24 Jan 1924 Russian city of Saint Petersburg is renamed Leningrad.
- 25 Jan 1924 1st Winter Olympic games open in Chamonix, France
- 26 Jan 1924 Charles Jewtraw, US 500m skater, takes first Winter Olympics gold medal.
- 27 Jan 1924 Lenin placed in Mausoleum in Red Square
- 29 Jan 1924 Ice cream cone rolling machine patented by Carl Taylor, Cleveland, Ohio.
- 01 Feb 1924 Soccer team VSV Tonido forms in Voorburg
- 02 Feb 1924 International Ski Federation (FIS) founded.
- 04 Feb 1924 1st Winter Olympic games close at Chamonix France
- 05 Feb 1924 The Royal Greenwich Observatory begins broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal or the ''BBC pips''.
- 07 Feb 1924 Death penalty: The first state execution using gas in the United States takes place in Nevada.
- 08 Feb 1924 US mobster Gee John is first executed in gas chamber, in Nevada.
- 09 Feb 1924 Nakhichevan ASSR constituted within Azerbaijan SSR.
- 10 Feb 1924 Bucky Harris, 27, becomes youngest baseball manager (Washington Senators).
- 12 Feb 1924 President Calvin Coolidge makes 1st presidential radio speech
- 14 Feb 1924 IBM Corporation founded by Thomas Watson
- 16 Feb 1924 February 26 ampndash Dock strikes break out in various U.S. harbors.
- 17 Feb 1924 Johnny Weissmuller sets 100-yard freestyle record (52.4 seconds).
- 18 Feb 1924 US Minister of Marine Edwin Denby ends term due to Teapot Dome-scandal.
- 22 Feb 1924 1st presidential radio address (Calvin Coolidge)
- 24 Feb 1924 Johnny Weissmuller swims 100-metre record (57.4 seconds).
- 25 Feb 1924 Marie Boyd scores 156 points in Maryland High School basketball game (163-3).
- 26 Feb 1924 Trial against Hitler in Munich begins
- 28 Feb 1924 US begins intervention in Honduras.
- 03 Mar 1924 German and Turkish friendship / trade treaty signed
- 05 Mar 1924 King Hussein of Hedzjaz appoints himself kalief.
- 06 Mar 1924 British Labour government cuts military budget.
- 08 Mar 1924 The Castle Gate mine disaster kills 172 coal miners near Castle Gate, Utah.
- 11 Mar 1924 NHL Championship: Montreal Canadiens sweep Ottawa Senators in two games.
- 13 Mar 1924 German Republic day
- 16 Mar 1924 In accordance with the Treaty of Rome, Fiume became annexed as part of Italy.
- 17 Mar 1924 Netherlands and the USSR begin talks over USSR recognition
- 20 Mar 1924 Finnair begins scheduled flight of Helsinki-Tallinn.
- 21 Mar 1924 Mass Investors Trust becomes first mutual fund set up in US.
- 24 Mar 1924 Greece becomes a republic.
- 25 Mar 1924 Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens (NHL) sweep Calgary Tigers (WCHL) in two games (second of 1924).
- 27 Mar 1924 Canada recognizes USSR.
- 28 Mar 1924 WGN-AM in Chicago IL begins radio transmissions
- 29 Mar 1924 Bayern and Vatican reach accord.
- 31 Mar 1924 Croydon Airport: 1st British mig aircraft Imperial established
- 01 Apr 1924 Hitler sentenced to 5 years labor but General Ludendorff acquitted
- 06 Apr 1924 4 planes leave Seattle on 1st successful around-the-world flight
- 10 Apr 1924 Tubular steel golf club shafts approved for championship play.
- 11 Apr 1924 WLS-AM in Chicago IL begins radio transmissions
- 13 Apr 1924 Greek plebiscite for a republic.
- 15 Apr 1924 WHO-AM in Des Moines Iowa begins radio transmissions
- 16 Apr 1924 Child labor laws strengthened in Holland.
- 17 Apr 1924 Metro Pictures, Goldwyn Pictures and Louis B Mayer Co merged to form MGM
- 18 Apr 1924 First crossword puzzle book published (in USA by Simon and Schuster).
- 19 Apr 1924 National Barn Dance premieres on WLS Chicago
- 22 Apr 1924 Hague Chambers of Commerce forms, Netherlands.
- 23 Apr 1924 British Empire Exhibition opens at Wembley.
- 26 Apr 1924 Harry Grindell Matthews demonstrates his quotdeath rayquot in London but fails to convince the British War Office.
- 27 Apr 1924 Antwerp soccer tie Belgium-Netherlands 1-1
- 28 Apr 1924 119 die in Benwood, West Virginia, USA coal mine disaster.
- 02 May 1924 Netherlands refuses to recognize USSR.
- 03 May 1924 Aleph Zadik Aleph is formed in Omaha, Nebraska
- 04 May 1924 8th Olympic games open at Paris, France
- 05 May 1924 Unions terminate Twentse textile strike
- 07 May 1924 Peruvian Torre forms 004A, Alianza Popular Revolutionaria Americana.
- 08 May 1924 Workers at Werkspoor in Amsterdam strike against third wage cut.
- 10 May 1924 J Edgar Hoover appointed head of the FBI.
- 11 May 1924 Pulitzer Prize awarded to Robert Frost (New Hampshire)
- 12 May 1924 7th PGA Championship: Walter Hagen at French Lick Country Club - Indiana
- 17 May 1924 50th Kentucky Derby: John Mooney aboard Black Gold wins in 2:05.2.
- 21 May 1924 Leopold and Loeb kidnap Bobby Franks for fun
- 22 May 1924 In Chicago, Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb kidnap Robert Franks
- 24 May 1924 The Immigration Act of 1924 was signed into law in the United States, including the Asian Exclusion Act.
- 26 May 1924 US President Calvin Coolidge signs Immigration Law (restricting immigration).
- 29 May 1924 AEK Athens FC is established on the anniversary of the siege of Constantinople by the Turks.
- 30 May 1924 Socialist Matteotti falls in Italian parliament by fascists
- 31 May 1924 The Soviet Union signs an agreement with the Peking government, referring to Outer Mongolia as an ''integral part of the Republic of China'', whose ''sovereignty'' therein the Soviet Union promises to respect.
- 01 Jun 1924 Harry Grindell Matthews returns from Paris to London he tries to use a ''Pathé'' film to demonstrate that his death ray works.
- 02 Jun 1924 Snyder Act: US citizenship granted to all American Indians
- 03 Jun 1924 Gila Wilderness Area established by US Forest Service.
- 06 Jun 1924 28th US Golf Open: Cyril Walker shoots a 297 at Oakland Hills Country Club - Michigan
- 07 Jun 1924 56th Belmont: Earl Sande aboard Mad Play wins in 2:18.8
- 08 Jun 1924 George Mallory and Andrew Irvine are last seen quotgoing strong for the topquot of Mount Everest by teammate Noel Odell at 12:50ampnbspP.M. The two mountaineers are never seen alive again.
- 09 Jun 1924 Jelly-Roll Blues, is recorded by blues great, Jelly Roll Morton
- 10 Jun 1924 First political convention broadcast on radio: Republicans at Cleveland, Ohio.
- 11 Jun 1924 Bene Brak Palestine founded
- 12 Jun 1924 Rondout Heist: Six men of the Egan's Rats gang rob a mail train in Rondout, Illinois the robbery is later found to have been an inside job.
- 13 Jun 1924 Bene Berak Palestine founded
- 14 Jun 1924 WOKO-AM radio begins transmitting from Albany, New York
- 15 Jun 1924 1st transmission of radio Bloemendaal
- 16 Jun 1924 South Africa all out 30 vs. England in 48 minutes, Gilligan 6-7
- 19 Jun 1924 Paavo Nurmi runs world record 1500m (3:52.6)
- 21 Jun 1924 NCRV, Dutch Christian Radio Society, forms
- 23 Jun 1924 8 month Twenste textile strike ends
- 24 Jun 1924 59th British Golf Open: Walter Hagen shoots a 301 at Hoylake Hoylake
- 26 Jun 1924 Ziegfeld Follies opens on Broadway
- 28 Jun 1924 Tornado strikes Sandusky and Lorain in Ohio, USA, killing 93.
- 01 Jul 1924 Light Brigade forms
- 05 Jul 1924 Military revolt in Sao Paulo Brazil
- 06 Jul 1924 First photo sent experimentally across Atlantic by radio, USA to England.
- 10 Jul 1924 Denmark takes Greenland as Norway ends claim
- 11 Jul 1924 Moslem-Hindu rebellion in Delhi
- 13 Jul 1924 Albin Stenroos wins Olympic marathon (2:41:22.6)
- 16 Jul 1924 Conference over German recovery payments begins in London
- 17 Jul 1924 Voting in federal elections becomes compulsory in Australia, after a private member's bill proposed by Tasmanian Nationalist senator Herbert Payne results in the passing of the Commonwealth Electoral (Compulsory Voting) Act 1924.
- 20 Jul 1924 Teheran, Persia comes under martial law after the American vice-consul, Robert Imbrie, is killed by a religious mob enraged by rumors he had poisoned a fountain and killed several people.
- 27 Jul 1924 8th Olympic games closes in Paris
- 29 Jul 1924 Paul Runyan wins the PGA golf championship.
- 02 Aug 1924 Joe Hauser sets record of 14 total bases in a game
- 03 Aug 1924 Cyclist Piet Moeskops regains world sprint championist
- 04 Aug 1924 Diplomatic relations between Mexico and the Soviet Union are established.
- 05 Aug 1924 Comic strip Little Orphan Annie, by Harold Gray, debuts
- 08 Aug 1924 British-Russian trade agreement signed
- 11 Aug 1924 1st newsreel pictures of presidential candidates were taken
- 16 Aug 1924 38th US Womens Tennis: Helen Wills Moody beats Molla B Mallory (61 63)
- 17 Aug 1924 French-German trade agreement signed
- 18 Aug 1924 France begins retracting troops out of Ruhrgebied
- 25 Aug 1924 International maritime treaty drawn
- 28 Aug 1924 The Georgian opposition stages the August Uprising against the Soviet Union.
- 29 Aug 1924 German Republic day accepts Dawes plan
- 31 Aug 1924 Paavo Nurmi runs world record 10,000m (30:06.2)
- 01 Sep 1924 Kenchoji Rinzai temple in Kamakur Japan, heavily damaged by earthquake
- 02 Sep 1924 44th US Mens Tennis: William Tilden beats William Johnston (61 97 62)
- 03 Sep 1924 Civil war breaks out in China (Gen Tsi moves to Shanghai)
- 06 Sep 1924 Assassination attempt on Mussolini fails
- 08 Sep 1924 Alexandra Kollontai of Russia becomes 1st woman ambassador
- 09 Sep 1924 Hanapepe Massacre occurs on Kauai, Hawaii.
- 10 Sep 1924 Giants rip Braves 22-1, Frisch goes 6-for-6 before grounding out
- 13 Sep 1924 19th Davis Cup: USA beats Australia in Philadelphia (5-0)
- 14 Sep 1924 Walter Johnson elected AL MVP
- 17 Sep 1924 Italy signs treaty of Rapallo
- 18 Sep 1924 Government routes 7 Provinces to Peking
- 20 Sep 1924 Carl Mays is 1st pitcher to win 20 games seasons for 3 different teams
- 24 Sep 1924 Boston, Massachusetts opens its airport
- 25 Sep 1924 Malcolm Campbell sets world auto speed record at 146.16 MPH.
- 27 Sep 1924 Giants clinch their 4th straight pennant, beating Phils 5-1
- 28 Sep 1924 French government names General Serrail Governor-General of Syria
- 29 Sep 1924 Santo Domingo joins League of Nations
- 30 Sep 1924 Allies stop checking on German navy
- 01 Oct 1924 Fokker F-7 1st flight (Amsterdam to Batavia)
- 02 Oct 1924 The Geneva Protocol is adopted as a means to strengthen the League of Nations.
- 03 Oct 1924 King Hussein of Hedzjaz abdicts throne
- 04 Oct 1924 New York Giants become first team to appear in four consecutive World Series (World Series #21).
- 05 Oct 1924 1st Little Orphan Annie-strip appears in NYC Daily News
- 07 Oct 1924 Greek government of Dikalekopoulis forms.
- 08 Oct 1924 British Labour government of MacDonald falls to Communists
- 10 Oct 1924 Ibn Saud of Nedzhed captures Mecca
- 12 Oct 1924 Sokolnicheskaya Radio begins broadcasting from Moscow.
- 13 Oct 1924 Wahhabietes under Ibn Saudi take Mecca
- 15 Oct 1924 President Coolidge declares Statue of Liberty a national monument
- 18 Oct 1924 Notre Dame beats Army 13-7 in football; New York Herald Tribune newspaper dubs them the Four Horsemen.
- 19 Oct 1924 Abdul Aziz declares himself protector of holy places in Mecca.
- 20 Oct 1924 1st Negro League World Series: Kansas City Monarchs shuts out Hilldales, 5-0
- 22 Oct 1924 Toastmasters International is founded.
- 24 Oct 1924 Christian General Feng Joe Siang occupies Beijing
- 25 Oct 1924 Little Orphan Annie comic strip 1st published
- 27 Oct 1924 Uzbek SSR forms
- 28 Oct 1924 French-Russian trade agreement signed
- 29 Oct 1924 Dixie to Broadway, opens at Broadhurst Theater
- 31 Oct 1924 World Savings Day is announced in Milan, Italy by the Members of the Association at the 1st International Savings Bank Congress (World Society of Savings Banks).
- 01 Nov 1924 Forest Peters of Montana State University hits 17 of 22 attempted field goals.
- 02 Nov 1924 Sunday Express publishes 1st British crossword puzzle
- 04 Nov 1924 British Labour government of MacDonald, resigns
- 06 Nov 1924 Stanley Baldwin becomes Prime Minister of England.
- 08 Nov 1924 Austria chancellor Ignaz Seipel, resigns after assassination attempt
- 09 Nov 1924 Miriam (Ma) Ferguson becomes 1st elected woman Governor (of Texas)
- 11 Nov 1924 Martin Beck Theater opens at 302 W 45th St, New York City
- 12 Nov 1924 Yeshivah Slobodka opens a branch in Chevron
- 15 Nov 1924 Dutch Christian Radio Society (NCRV) forms
- 16 Nov 1924 Cleveland Bulldogs lose to Frankford Yellowjackets, ends 31-game undefeated streak (NFL and major-league football record).
- 19 Nov 1924 In Los Angeles, California, famous silent film director Thomas Ince (quotThe Father of the Westernquot) dies, reportedly of a heart attack, in his bed (rumors soon surface that he was shot dead by publishing tycoon William Randolph Hearst).
- 21 Nov 1924 British Premier Baldwin cancels Labor contract with USSR
- 22 Nov 1924 England orders Egyptians out of Sudan.
- 27 Nov 1924 57,000 watch a high school football game in Las Angeles, California, USA.
- 28 Nov 1924 Pieter Jelle Troelstra leaves 2nd Chamber
- 30 Nov 1924 1st photo facsimile transmitted across Atlantic by radio (London-NYC)
- 02 Dec 1924 British-German trade agreement signed.
- 05 Dec 1924 Hamilton Tigers' Red Green scores five goals to beat Toronto Maple Leafs 10-5.
- 07 Dec 1924 German election (Social Democrats win, National Socialists and Communists lose).
- 09 Dec 1924 Dutch and Hungary trade treaty signed.
- 10 Dec 1924 Willem Einthoven awarded Nobel Prize for medicine.
- 13 Dec 1924 KOA-AM in Denver CO begins radio transmissions
- 14 Dec 1924 Chiang Kai-shek occupies Hankou, China.
- 17 Dec 1924 First US diesel electric locomotive enters service, in Bronx, New York.
- 19 Dec 1924 The last Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost is sold in London, England.
- 20 Dec 1924 Adolf Hitler freed from jail early
- 22 Dec 1924 Alvin Hall becomes director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
- 24 Dec 1924 1st radio transmission of NCRV in the Netherlands
- 30 Dec 1924 Edwin Hubble announces existence of other galactic systems
- 31 Dec 1924 Hubble announces existence of distant galaxies