History is the trail that leads to a journey of self-discovery and awareness. Information collected from past events has a way to sway the decisions made today and 1921 held events that are still shaping the world today.
Diabetes is one of the chronic diseases human beings have ever faced. It is not until the summer of the year 1921 on July 27th, that scientists at the University of Toronto, Canada were able to isolate insulin a hormone used to combat diabetes. Within a year, insulin was available to people with diabetes. The scientists, J. J. R. Macleod and Fredrick Banting received the Nobel Prize in medicine two years after the success of the isolation.
In what was to be a game change in modern warfare, the German Workers’ Party better known as the Nazi Party ruled the whole of Germany from 1933 to 1945. The party formed in 1919 made Adolf Hitler its party leader in 1921. Being party leader was a stepping-stone to Hitler becoming Germany’s Chancellor in 1933. The Nazi party was composed of Germans unhappy with the Treaty of Versailles, which ended World War I. Germany’s defeat in World War II brought about the outlawing of the Nazi Party and its top officials convicted of war crimes related to the Holocaust.
By December 9, a young engineer, Thomas Midgeley Jr. at General Motors (GM) had grown tired of the annoying noises made by internal combustion engines when running. These sounds referred to as knock or pinging are rather very annoying, Midgeley experimented with diverse elements until he found success with lead. Thanks to the activities of the day, we do not have to deal with the clattering of engines today. Lead is still one of the widely used antiknock agents despite its adverse effects on the human body. Companies today have since started phasing out the manufacturing of engines that require lead.
The past hold bitter and sweet memories of times past that ought not to happen again. History makes true the adage that goes; experience is the best teacher.
All Nobel Prize winners of 1921
- Albert Einstein
- Hjalmar Branting
- Christian Lous Lange
- Anatole France
- Frederick Soddy
Which were the top hits of 1921?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Marion Harris - Look for the Silver Lining
- Van & Schenck - Ain't We got Fun?
- Henry Burr & Albert Campbell - Feather Your Nest
- Original Dixieland Jazz Band - Palesteena
- Henry Burr - Old Pal, Why Don't You Answer Me?
- Paul Biese Trio - Rose
- Enrico Caruso - Dreams of Long Ago
- Happy Six - Do You Ever Think of Me?
- Original Dixieland Jazz Band - Margie
- Paul Biese Trio & Frank Crumit - Mimi
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1921?
- 02 Jan 1921 1st religious service radio broadcast in US, KDKA-Pittsburgh
- 03 Jan 1921 Turkey makes peace with Armenia.
- 06 Jan 1921 Formation of the Iraqi Army.
- 09 Jan 1921 Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of Inonu, the first battle of the war, began near Eskisehir in Anatolia.
- 12 Jan 1921 Kenesaw Mountain Landis becomes first commissioner of baseball.
- 19 Jan 1921 Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador sign Pact of Union.
- 20 Jan 1921 British submarine K5 leaves with man and mouse.
- 26 Jan 1921 Soccer team GVAV of Groningen Netherlands forms.
- 29 Jan 1921 Hurricane hits Washington and Oregon.
- 11 Feb 1921 Ambassador Theater opens at 215 W 49th Steet New York City.
- 12 Feb 1921 Soviet troops invade Georgia (theirs, not ours).
- 14 Feb 1921 Canadian 5-cent nickel coin is authorized.
- 18 Feb 1921 British troops occupy Dublin.
- 19 Feb 1921 Reza Shah takes control of Tehran during a successful coup
- 20 Feb 1921 Riza Khan Pahlevi seizes control of Iran.
- 21 Feb 1921 Constituent Assembly of the Democratic Republic of Georgia adopts the country's first constitution.
- 23 Feb 1921 1st US transcontinental air mail flight arrives in NYC from San Francisco
- 25 Feb 1921 Georgian SSR proclaimed.
- 27 Feb 1921 US female Figure Skating championship won by Theresa Weld Blanchard.
- 01 Mar 1921 Sailors revolt in Kronstadt Russia.
- 04 Mar 1921 The Arkansas Hot Springs is designated as America's 18th national park.
- 06 Mar 1921 Police in Sunbury Pennsylvania issue an edict requiring Women to wear skirts at least four inches below the knee.
- 07 Mar 1921 Red Army under Trotsky attack sailors of Kronstadt.
- 08 Mar 1921 Spanish Premier Eduardo Dato Iradier is assassinated while exiting the parliament building in Madrid.
- 13 Mar 1921 Mongolia, under Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg, declares its independence from China.
- 17 Mar 1921 Sailors revolt in Kronstadt (thousands die).
- 19 Mar 1921 Italian Fascists shoot from the Parenzana train at a group of children in Strunjan (Slovenia): two children are killed, two mangled and three wounded.
- 21 Mar 1921 Walter Kerr Theater (Ritz, CBS, NBC, ABC) opens at 223 W 48th Steet New York City.
- 31 Mar 1921 British coal miners goes on strike.
- 04 Apr 1921 Stanley Cup: Ottawa Senators (NHL) beat Vancouver Millionaires (PCHA), three games to 2.
- 11 Apr 1921 KDKA broadcast the first radio sporting event, a boxing match (Ray-Dundee).
- 14 Apr 1921 Prince Henry opens Rotterdam-Amsterdam-Bremen-Hamburg air route.
- 15 Apr 1921 Black Friday: mine owners announce more wage and price cuts, leading to the threat of a strike all across England.
- 16 Apr 1921 Liberal Freedom League forms in The Hague.
- 18 Apr 1921 Junior Achievement incorporated in Colorado Springs Colorado.
- 19 Apr 1921 Funeral of last German Emperoress, Augusta Victoria.
- 23 Apr 1921 Charles Paddock runs world record 100 metre (10.4 seconds).
- 27 Apr 1921 Hadjememaar, [Corn de Gelder] elected in Amsterdam.
- 30 Apr 1921 Pope Benedict XV encyclical "On Dante".
- 01 May 1921 Drusian sultan Pasja al-Atrasj elected Governor of Suwayda.
- 03 May 1921 West Virginia imposes the first state sales tax.
- 05 May 1921 Miniature newspaper published (Brighton Gazette 10 x 13 cm).
- 06 May 1921 American Soccer League formed.
- 07 May 1921 47th Kentucky Derby: Charles Thompson on Behave Yourself wins 2:04.2.
- 08 May 1921 Sweden abolishes capital punishment.
- 11 May 1921 Tel Aviv is first all Jewish municipality.
- 12 May 1921 National Hospital Day first observed.
- 14 May 1921 Florence Allen is 1st woman judge to sentence a man to death
- 16 May 1921 47th Preakness: F Coltiletti aboard Broomspun wins in 1:54.2.
- 17 May 1921 President Harding opens (via telephone) first Valencia Orange Show.
- 19 May 1921 The U.S. Congress passes the Emergency Quota Act establishing national quotas on immigration.
- 21 May 1921 Oldest radio station west of Mississippi River licensed in Greeley Colorado.
- 23 May 1921 Shuffle Along 1st black musical comedy, opens in New York City
- 24 May 1921 British Legion is formed.
- 27 May 1921 Afghanistan gains sovereignty
- 30 May 1921 Salzburg, Austria, votes to join Germany
- 31 May 1921 Suffy McInnis (first base) begins an errorless string of 1,700 chances.
- 01 Jun 1921 Race riot in Tusla Okla (21 whites and 60 blacks killed).
- 03 Jun 1921 A sudden cloudburst kills 120 near Pikes Peak, Colorado.
- 06 Jun 1921 The Southwark Bridge in London, is opened for traffic by King George V and Queen Mary.
- 08 Jun 1921 Babe Ruth arrested for speeding, fined $100, and held in jail until 4pm
- 10 Jun 1921 Babe Ruth becomes all time home run champion with #120 (Gavvy Cravath).
- 11 Jun 1921 53rd Belmont: Earl Sande aboard Grey Lag wins in 2:16.8
- 15 Jun 1921 Bessie Coleman reaches France as US 1st black pilot
- 16 Jun 1921 US Congress creates the office of Undersecretary of the Treasurer.
- 19 Jun 1921 Census in Great-Britain
- 20 Jun 1921 29.2 cm (11.5 inches) of rainfall, Circle, Montana (state record).
- 22 Jun 1921 Paavo Nurmi runs world record 10,000m (30:40.2)
- 25 Jun 1921 56th British Golf Open: Jock Hutchison shoots a 296 at St. Andrews
- 28 Jun 1921 Serbian King Alexander I proclaimed the new constitution of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, known thereafter as the Vidovdan Constitution.
- 29 Jun 1921 34th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Suzanne Lenglen beats E Ryan (62 60)
- 30 Jun 1921 U.S. President Warren G. Harding appoints former President William Howard Taft Chief Justice of the United States.
- 01 Jul 1921 The Communist Party of China is founded.
- 02 Jul 1921 41st Wimbledon Mens Tennis: B Tilden beats B Norton (46 26 61 60 75)
- 06 Jul 1921 Anne Frances Robbins is born in New York City, New York; wife of US President Ronald Reagan.
- 10 Jul 1921 Belfast's Bloody Sunday: 16 people are killed and 161 houses destroyed during rioting and gun battles in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- 11 Jul 1921 Mongolia gains independence from China (National Day).
- 12 Jul 1921 Babe Ruth sets record of 137 career home runs
- 15 Jul 1921 In Berkshire Hills, Massachusetts, USA a falling meteor starts a fire.
- 18 Jul 1921 Black Sox trial begins in Chicago
- 20 Jul 1921 Air mail service begins between New York City and San Francisco.
- 22 Jul 1921 25th US Golf Open: Jim Barnes shoots a 289 at Columbia Country Club - Maryland
- 23 Jul 1921 Chinese communist party forms under Henk Sneevliet
- 27 Jul 1921 2nd government of Ruijs de Beerenbrouck forms
- 28 Jul 1921 President Warren Harding issues executive order requiring coin designs to come under purview of Commission of Fine Arts.
- 29 Jul 1921 New rules of language assumed (equal rights Flemings / Walen Belgium)
- 02 Aug 1921 Chicago jury brings in not guilty verdict against the Black Sox
- 03 Aug 1921 1st aerial cropdusting (Troy Ohio to kill caterpillars)
- 05 Aug 1921 Treaty of Berlin: US and Germany sign separate peace treaty
- 06 Aug 1921 Clason Point, Bronx to College Point, Queens municipal ferry system begins.
- 07 Aug 1921 Cyclist Piet Moeskops becomes world champ sprinter
- 14 Aug 1921 Tannu Tuva, later Tuvinian People's Republic is established as a completely independent country (which is supported by Soviet Russia).
- 19 Aug 1921 Ty Cobb, is 4th to get 3,000 hits
- 20 Aug 1921 35th US Womens Tennis: Molla B Mallory beats M Browne (46 64 62)
- 22 Aug 1921 J Edgar Hoover becomes Assistant Director of FBI
- 23 Aug 1921 British airship R-38 experiences structural failure over Hull in England and crashes in the Humber estuary. Of her 49 British and American training crew, only 4 survive.
- 24 Aug 1921 Battle of Sakaray Valley begins between Turkey and Greece
- 25 Aug 1921 US signs peace treaty with Germany.
- 27 Aug 1921 J E Clair of Acme Packing Company of Green Bay granted an NFL franchise.
- 28 Aug 1921 Babe Ruth starts streak of an extra-base hit in 9 straight games
- 01 Sep 1921 Nederlander Theater opens at 208 W 41 St. NYC (Billy Rose, Trafalgar)
- 03 Sep 1921 16th Davis Cup: USA beats Japan in New York (5-0)
- 05 Sep 1921 Walter Johnson sets strikeout mark at 2,287
- 07 Sep 1921 In Atlantic City, New Jersey, the first Miss America Pageant, a two-day event, is held.
- 08 Sep 1921 16-year-old Margaret Gorman wins the Atlantic City Pageant's Golden Mermaid trophy; pageant officials later dubbed her the first Miss America.
- 11 Sep 1921 Nahalal, the first moshav in Palestine, is settled as part of a Zionist plan to colonize Palestine and creating a Jewish state, later to be Israel.
- 15 Sep 1921 Pope Benedictus XV publishes encyclical Alcohol Paraclitus
- 19 Sep 1921 41st US Mens Tennis: William T Tilden beats Wm M Johnston (61 63 61)
- 21 Sep 1921 Pope Benedictus XV donates 1 million lire to feed Russians
- 22 Sep 1921 Estonia and Lithuania admitted to League of Nations
- 26 Sep 1921 Yankee Ruth hits HRs 57 and 58 to beat Indians 8-7
- 27 Sep 1921 Yanks beat Indians 21-7 in Polo Grounds
- 28 Sep 1921 4th PGA Championship: Walter Hagen at Inwood Country Club - Far Rockaway, New York
- 29 Sep 1921 Pirates drop doubleheader to Cards to allow idle Giants to clinch NL
- 01 Oct 1921 WJZ, Newark New Jersey begins broadcasting
- 02 Oct 1921 New York Yankee Babe Ruth hits then record 59th HR
- 04 Oct 1921 League of Nations refuses to assist starving Russians
- 05 Oct 1921 1st World Series radio broadcast, Yanks beat Giants 3-0
- 06 Oct 1921 Century Theater opens at 7th Ave and 59th St. NYC (demolished 1962)
- 08 Oct 1921 KDKA in Pittsburgh's Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game.
- 10 Oct 1921 NFL Decatur Staleys become Chicago Staleys, win 14-10.
- 13 Oct 1921 New York Giants beat New York Yankees, five games to three in 18th World Series.
- 16 Oct 1921 Babe Ruth, Bob Meusel, and Bill Piercy defy Landis ban on World Series
- 18 Oct 1921 The Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic is formed as part of the RSFSR.
- 19 Oct 1921 Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Granjo and other politicians are murdered in a Lisbon coup.
- 21 Oct 1921 Tuschinski Theater opens in Amsterdam
- 23 Oct 1921 Green Bay Packers play first NFL game, 7-6 win over Minneapolis.
- 26 Oct 1921 Solomon Porter Hood named minister to Liberia.
- 29 Oct 1921 The Link River Dam, a part of the Klamath Reclamation Project, is completed.
- 31 Oct 1921 Federation Sportive Feminine International forms (1st Woman Track & Field Association)
- 01 Nov 1921 National Birth Control League & Voluntary Parenthood League merge as American Birth Control League
- 04 Nov 1921 Japanese Prime Minister Hara Takashi is assassinated in Tokyo.
- 07 Nov 1921 The Partito Nazionale Fascista (PNF), National Fascist Party, comes into existence.
- 09 Nov 1921 Partito Nazionalista Fascista, forms in Italy by Mussolini
- 11 Nov 1921 President Harding dedicates Tomb of Unknown Soldier (Arlington Cemetary)
- 12 Nov 1921 Washington Conference for Limitation of Armaments.
- 13 Nov 1921 US, France, Japan and British Empire sign a Pacific Treaty.
- 14 Nov 1921 The Communist Party of Spain is founded.
- 15 Nov 1921 KYW-AM in Philadelphia PA begins radio transmissions
- 23 Nov 1921 President Harding signs Willis Campell Act (anti-beer bill) forbidding doctors prescribing beer or liquor for medicinal purposes
- 01 Dec 1921 US Post Office establishes philatelic agency.
- 04 Dec 1921 The first Virginia Rappe manslaughter trial against Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle ends in a hung jury.
- 06 Dec 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty signed; Ireland receives dominion status; partition creates Northern Ireland.
- 07 Dec 1921 KWG-AM in Stockton CA begins radio transmissions
- 08 Dec 1921 Eamon de Valera publicly repudiates Anglo-Irish Treaty.
- 23 Dec 1921 Visva-Bharati University is inaugurated.
- 31 Dec 1921 Last San Francisco firehorses retired