After 17 years of British rule, Iraq gained its independence on October 3, 1932. The Shanghai Express was the top-grossing film of the year starring Marlene Dietrich. Night and Day by Fred Astaire and Leo Reisman was the biggest hit of the year. The Pulitzer award for poetry went to George Dillon for his collection of poems dubbed The Flowering Stone.
In a sign of changing times in the USA, Ophelia Wyatt Caraway was the first woman elected to the U.S Senate from Arkansas on January 12. She first went to the Senate in November 1931 after the death of her husband, Thaddeus Horatio Caraway. She went to on to serve another term from 1938. The President of the USA, Franklin Roosevelt, later appointed her to the Federal Employees Compensation Commission after failing to capture the seat in 1944.
Despite the raging Great Depression in the USA, thousands of people turned up on December 27 to witness the opening of Radio City Music Hall, in New York City. Billionaire John D. Rockefeller conceived the idea of the theater and in partnership with the Radio Corporation of America, built the theater. The state of the art theater became the cornerstone of the Rockefeller Complex in downtown Manhattan, New York. Since its opening, over 300 million people have gone to the Radio City Music Hall to experience entertainment like no other.
Charles Lindbergh was the first man to complete a solo flight across the Atlantic. Five years later Amelia Earhart became the first female aviator to achieve the same feat. Amelia touched down in Ireland on May 21 after traveling 2,000 miles under 15 hours from Newfoundland, Canada. The U.S Congress awarded her with the Distinguished Flying Cross, in 1932.
Finally, in Science Braggite was discovered to be the first mineral found with the assistance of X-rays, James Chadwick discovered the neutron. The Nobel Prize in Physics went to Werner Karl Heisenberg; Chemistry went to Irving Langmuir and for Medicine, the prize went to Sir Charles Sherrington and Edgar Adrian.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 5th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1932?
All Nobel Prize winners of 1932
- John Galsworthy
- Werner Heisenberg
- Irving Langmuir
Physiology or Medicine
- Charles Scott Sherrington
- Edgar Adrian
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1932?
- 01 Jan 1932 Jacob Cocey Sr chosen as Mayor of Massillon Ohio
- 02 Jan 1932 Young gang shoots dead six police in Springfield, Missouri.
- 03 Jan 1932 Martial law is declared in Honduras to stop revolt by banana workers fired by United Fruit.
- 04 Jan 1932 Bradman scores 167 for Australia vs. South Africa at the MCG
- 08 Jan 1932 Ratification of present SF City Charter
- 10 Jan 1932 Mickey Mouse andSilly Symphony comics syndicated
- 12 Jan 1932 Hattie W Caraway elected 1st woman senator (D-Ark)
- 14 Jan 1932 Horse racing legend Eddie Arcaro won his 1st race
- 19 Jan 1932 Charlie Conacher becomes first Toronto Maple Leafs' player to score five goals in a game, the first coming at 7 seconds of the game.
- 21 Jan 1932 USSR and Finland stop non-attack treaty
- 22 Jan 1932 British Anglicans and Old-Catholic church merge.
- 23 Jan 1932 El Salvador army kills 4,000 protesting farmers.
- 25 Jan 1932 Bradman scores 167 NSW vs. Victoria, 224 mins, 22 fours
- 26 Jan 1932 British submarine M-2 sinks in Channel (60 dead)
- 28 Jan 1932 First US state unemployment insurance act enacted, in Wisconsin.
- 31 Jan 1932 US railway unions accept 10 percent wage reduction.
- 02 Feb 1932 Al Capone sent to prison (Atlanta, Georgia)
- 04 Feb 1932 3rd Winter Olympic games open in Lake Placid, New York
- 06 Feb 1932 Fascist coup in the Memel territory.
- 09 Feb 1932 US airship Columbia crashes during storm (Flushing, New York).
- 12 Feb 1932 Communist Party of Holland forms Unemployed Combat Committees.
- 13 Feb 1932 Free Eats introduces George Spanky McFarland to Our Gang
- 15 Feb 1932 3rd Winter Olympic games close at Lake Placid, New York
- 18 Feb 1932 The Empire of Japan declares Manzhouguo (the obsolete Chinese name for Manchuria) independent from the Republic of China.
- 19 Feb 1932 William Faulkner completes his novel Light in August
- 20 Feb 1932 Japanese troops occupy Tunhua, China.
- 21 Feb 1932 Camera exposure meter patented, WN Goodwin.
- 22 Feb 1932 Purple Heart award re-instituted.
- 24 Feb 1932 Malcolm Campbell drives record speed (253.96 mph) at Daytona.
- 25 Feb 1932 Immigrant Adolf Hitler gets German citizenship.
- 27 Feb 1932 Explosion in coal mine in Boissevain, Virginia, USA (38 dead).
- 29 Feb 1932 Failed coup attempt by fascist Lapua Movement in Finland.
- 01 Mar 1932 Charles Lindbergh III, the 20-month-old son of aviation hero Charles Lindbergh, is kidnapped from the family's new mansion in Hopewell, New Jersey. A ransom note demanding US$50,000 is left in their son's empty room.
- 06 Mar 1932 John Philip Sousa, US composer ("Stars and Stripes Forever"), dies at age 77.
- 07 Mar 1932 Riots at Ford factory in Dearborn, Michigan, kills 4.
- 09 Mar 1932 Eamon De Valera becomes President of Ireland.
- 19 Mar 1932 The Sydney Harbour Bridge is opened.
- 20 Mar 1932 Kara-Kalpak Autonomous Region in RSFSR becomes Kara-Kalpak ASSR.
- 24 Mar 1932 First US radio broadcast from a moving train (Belle Baker, WABC from Maryland).
- 27 Mar 1932 De Bataven soccer team forms in Gendt.
- 29 Mar 1932 Jack Benny debuts on radio
- 30 Mar 1932 Amelia Earhart is 1st woman to fly solo cross the Atlantic
- 31 Mar 1932 Ford publicly unveils its V-8 engine.
- 02 Apr 1932 Charles Lindbergh turns over $50,000 as ransom for kidnapped son.
- 04 Apr 1932 Vitamin C first isolated, by C C King, at University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 05 Apr 1932 Dutch textile strike broken by trade unions.
- 10 Apr 1932 Paul von Hindenburg elected 1st German President (Hitler is 2nd)
- 12 Apr 1932 Emmanuel Chabriers and Balanchines ballet premieres in Monte Carlo
- 13 Apr 1932 Kozakken Boys soccer team forms in Werkendam forms
- 17 Apr 1932 Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia ends slavery.
- 19 Apr 1932 US President Herbert Hoover suggests five-day work week.
- 23 Apr 1932 Shakespeare Memorial Theatre opens at Stratford-on-Avon.
- 24 Apr 1932 German national election (NSDAP 36.3 percent in Prussia).
- 28 Apr 1932 Yellow fever vaccine for humans announced.
- 02 May 1932 Pulitzer prize awarded to Pearl S Buck (Good Earth)
- 03 May 1932 24 tourists begin first air-charter holiday (London, England, to Basle, Switzerland).
- 04 May 1932 Al Capone, convict of income tax evasion, enters Atlanta Penitentiary
- 05 May 1932 Japan and China sign a peace treaty.
- 07 May 1932 58th Kentucky Derby: Eugene James aboard Burgoo King wins in 2:05.2
- 09 May 1932 WOC-AM in Davenport Iowa merges with WHO to become WHO-WOC
- 10 May 1932 Government declares "Wilhelmus" Netherlands national anthem.
- 12 May 1932 Body of kidnapped Son of Charles Lindbergh is found in Hopewell, New Jersey
- 13 May 1932 Russian Composer Dmitri Sjostakovitch marries Nina Varsar
- 14 May 1932 We Want Beer! parade in New York
- 15 May 1932 The May 15 Incident: in an attempted Coup d'etat, the Prime Minister of Japan Inukai Tsuyoshi is killed.
- 17 May 1932 US Congress changes the name "Porto Rico" to "Puerto Rico".
- 20 May 1932 Engelbert Dollfuss becomes chancellor of Austria.
- 21 May 1932 1st transatlantic solo flight by a woman (Amelia Earhart) lands
- 23 May 1932 Sir Hubert Ferdinand Opperman sets 24 hour record of 860 mi, 367 yards
- 26 May 1932 Admiral Makoto Saito forms parliament in Tokyo.
- 28 May 1932 Dam closed, at current monument (South Seas)
- 29 May 1932 World War I Veterans begin to assemble in Washington, DC in the Bonus Army to request cash bonuses promised to them to be paid in 1945.
- 01 Jun 1932 Lunteren soccer team forms in Lunteren
- 02 Jun 1932 Franz von Papen Cabinet of the Baron premieres
- 03 Jun 1932 John McGraw, who came to New York in 1902, resigns as manager of Giants
- 04 Jun 1932 64th Belmont: Tom Malley aboard Faireno wins in 2:32.8
- 06 Jun 1932 Carlos Davila coup against President Juan Montero of Chile
- 07 Jun 1932 Pitcher John Quinn, 47, is oldest player to have an extra-base hit (a double) and bat in a run, as the Dodgers beat the Cubs 9-2
- 10 Jun 1932 First demonstration of artificial lightning, in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA.
- 13 Jun 1932 Great Britain and France sign peace treaty
- 14 Jun 1932 German government of von Papen forms
- 16 Jun 1932 Germany forbids SA / SS-gang fights
- 17 Jun 1932 Oil tanker Cymbeline explodes in Montreal, Canada
- 19 Jun 1932 Hailstones kill 200 in Hunan Province, China PR
- 21 Jun 1932 Heavyweight Jack Sharkey TKOs Max Schmeling (NYC)
- 22 Jun 1932 NL, finally approves players wearing numbers
- 24 Jun 1932 Coup ends absolute monarchy in Thailand.
- 25 Jun 1932 36th US Golf Open: Gene Sarazen shoots a 286 at Fresh Meadows, New York
- 29 Jun 1932 USSR and China sign no attack treaty
- 01 Jul 1932 45th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Helen Moody beats Helen Jacobs (63 61)
- 02 Jul 1932 52nd Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Ellsworth Vines beats H Austin (64 62 60)
- 03 Jul 1932 John McGraw retires from baseball
- 04 Jul 1932 Bradman scores 260, a North American record, vs. Western Ontario
- 05 Jul 1932 Antonio de Oliveira Salazar becomes Premier / Dictator of Portugal
- 06 Jul 1932 1st class postage back up to 3 cents from 2 cents
- 08 Jul 1932 Depression low point of Dow Jones Industrial Average, 41.22
- 09 Jul 1932 Washington Redskins (then Boston Braves) forms
- 14 Jul 1932 Belgian Chamber rules Dutch language for education of Flanders
- 15 Jul 1932 President Hoover cuts own salary 15%
- 18 Jul 1932 US and Canada sign a treaty to develop Saint Lawrence Seaway.
- 20 Jul 1932 Crowds in the capitals of Bolivia and Paraguay demand their governments declare war on the other after fighting on their border.
- 28 Jul 1932 Battle between unemployed war veterans and federal troops, 4 die
- 30 Jul 1932 10th modern Olympic games opens in Los Angeles
- 31 Jul 1932 27th Davis Cup: France beats USA in Paris (3-2)
- 02 Aug 1932 Charlie Grimm replaces Roger Hornsby as manager of Chicago Cubs.
- 08 Aug 1932 Congress creates Silver Star medal for gallantry.
- 10 Aug 1932 In Archie, Missouri, USA a falling meteoroid strikes a homestead; no injuries.
- 13 Aug 1932 Yankee pitcher Red Ruffing homers andwins game 1-0 in 10 tying
- 14 Aug 1932 10th Olympic Games at Los Angeles closes
- 18 Aug 1932 Auguste Piccard / Max Cosijns reach 16,201m in a balloon
- 19 Aug 1932 46th US Womens Tennis: Helen Jacobs beats Carolin A Babcock (62 62)
- 21 Aug 1932 Wes Ferrell is 1st to win 20 games in each of his 1st 4 seasons
- 22 Aug 1932 BBS begins experimental regular TV broadcasts
- 24 Aug 1932 1st transcontinental non-stop flight by a woman, Amelia Earhart
- 25 Aug 1932 Amelia Earhart completes transcontinental flight
- 27 Aug 1932 200,000 English textile workers strike
- 29 Aug 1932 International Anti-War Committee forms in Amsterdam
- 01 Sep 1932 New York City Mayor James J "Gentleman Jimmy" Walker resigns (graft charges).
- 03 Sep 1932 Ellsworth Vines beats Henri Cochet for US tennis title.
- 04 Sep 1932 15th PGA Championship: Olin Dutra at Keller Golf Club - St. Paul, Minnesota
- 05 Sep 1932 The French Upper Volta is broken apart between Ivory Coast, French Sudan, and Niger.
- 07 Sep 1932 Earl Grace, ends NL catcher record streak of 110 cons errorless games
- 09 Sep 1932 Mine strikes at Belgian Borinage ended
- 10 Sep 1932 52nd US Mens Tennis: Henry E Vines beats Henri Cochet (64 64 64)
- 12 Sep 1932 German government of Papen falls / Reichstag dissolved
- 13 Sep 1932 New York Yankees clinch their 7th AL pennant
- 14 Sep 1932 Military coup in Chile under Arturo Alessandri
- 16 Sep 1932 30.8 cm rainfall at Westerly, Rhode Island (state record)
- 18 Sep 1932 Actress Peg Entwistle commits suicide by jumping from the letter ''H'' in the Hollywood sign.
- 20 Sep 1932 Chicago Cubs clinch the NL pennant
- 23 Sep 1932 The Kingdom of Hejaz and Nejd is renamed the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 24 Sep 1932 New York Gov Franklin D Roosevelt visits LA
- 25 Sep 1932 Jimmie Foxx hits his 58th HR in last game of season
- 28 Sep 1932 New York Yankees win World Series The winning pitcher is Babe Ruth beating Red Sox 9-3
- 29 Sep 1932 Bill of Divorcement premieres at the Mayfair
- 01 Oct 1932 Oswald Mosley forms British Union of Fascists
- 02 Oct 1932 Washington Redskins (as Boston Braves) play 1st NFL game, lose 14-0
- 03 Oct 1932 Iraq gains full independence from Britain, joins League of Nations
- 04 Oct 1932 Clark Griffith announces Walter Johnson will be manager of Senators
- 08 Oct 1932 The Indian Air Force is established.
- 10 Oct 1932 Betty & Bob premieres on radio
- 11 Oct 1932 Stalin forces Zinoviev and Kamenev out of Communist Party
- 15 Oct 1932 Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
- 18 Oct 1932 Belgium government of Renkin falls
- 19 Oct 1932 British government signs trade agreement with Soviet Union
- 20 Oct 1932 Journalist, Robert Trout, joins CBS
- 22 Oct 1932 Charles de Broqueville becomes Premier of Belgium
- 23 Oct 1932 Fred Allen Show premieres on radio
- 24 Oct 1932 British government signs trade treaty with USSR
- 25 Oct 1932 Dutch 2nd Chamber accepts Company consultant
- 29 Oct 1932 French liner Normandie is launched
- 31 Oct 1932 Greek government of Venizelos falls
- 01 Nov 1932 Wernher von Braun named head of German liquid-fuel rocket program.
- 05 Nov 1932 Mussolini frees 16,000 criminals
- 06 Nov 1932 German election - KPD defeats NSDAP
- 07 Nov 1932 1st broadcast of Buck Rogers in the 25th century on CBS-radio
- 08 Nov 1932 Make Mine Music, debuts
- 09 Nov 1932 Hurricane storm wave sweeps over Santa Cruz del Sur, Cuba; kills 2,500.
- 12 Nov 1932 24 killed at Lancashire mine explosion
- 15 Nov 1932 Walt Disney Art School created
- 17 Nov 1932 German government of von Papen, resigns
- 18 Nov 1932 Flowers & Trees receives 1st Academy Award for a cartoon
- 19 Nov 1932 Shaft and Thyssen demand Hitler become German chancellor
- 20 Nov 1932 Earthquake at Uden Netherlands
- 22 Nov 1932 Pump patented that computes quantity and price delivered
- 24 Nov 1932 In Washington, D.C., the FBI Scientific Crime Detection Laboratory (better known as the FBI Crime Lab) officially opens.
- 27 Nov 1932 Poland and the USSR signs non-attack treaty
- 28 Nov 1932 France and the USSR signs not-attack treaty
- 29 Nov 1932 Cole Porters musical Gay Divorcee, premieres in New York City
- 02 Dec 1932 Adventures of Charlie Chan first heard on NBC-Blue radio network.
- 05 Dec 1932 German-born Swiss physicist Albert Einstein is granted an American visa.
- 07 Dec 1932 First gyro-stabilized vessel to cross the Atlantic arrives in New York, USA.
- 10 Dec 1932 King Rama VII (Prajadhipok) grants Thailand a constitution.
- 12 Dec 1932 S N Behrmans Biography, premieres in New York City
- 14 Dec 1932 French government of Edouard Herriot falls.
- 16 Dec 1932 Heavy earthquake ravages Kansu, China, 70,000 killed.
- 18 Dec 1932 Chicago Bears beat Portsmouth Spartans 9-0 in 1st NFL playoff game
- 19 Dec 1932 British Broadcasting Corp begins transmitting overseas.
- 20 Dec 1932 Queensland all out 74 versus Victoria, Bert Ironmonger (age 50) 7-13.
- 21 Dec 1932 Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, 1st joint movie (Flying Down to Rio)
- 24 Dec 1932 Arturo Alessandri wins presidental election in Chile.
- 25 Dec 1932 During King George V Christmas dinner speech, his chair collapes.
- 26 Dec 1932 Earthquake kills 70,000 in Kansu, China.
- 27 Dec 1932 Radio City Music Hall theater opens in New York City, New York.