Monday 1 April 1957
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Butterfly by Andy Williams.
In UK Young Love by Tab Hunter was in the top 5 hits.
12 Angry Men, directed by Sidney Lumet, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1957.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1957!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1957 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Andreas Deja: Cartoonist.
- Donald William Hammond in Frederick: Maryland, USA; PGA golfer (1986 Bob Hope).
- Peter Deutsch: American politician (Representative-Democrat-Florida).
- David Gower: English cricketer and sportscaster.
- Denise Nickerson: American actress and singer.
- Stephen O'Brien: Tanzanian-English lawyer and politician Shadow Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills
- Gheorge Tatarescu: premier Romania (1933-37, 1939-40), dies.
- WYES TV channel 12 in New Orleans, LA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- Trial begins in Budapest, Hungary against participants' October uprising.
- The BBC broadcasts the spaghetti tree hoax on its current affairs programme Panorama.
- The first new conscripts join the Bundeswehr.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?