Thursday 1 September 1966
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Sunshine Superman by Donovan.
In UK With A Girl Like You by Troggs was in the top 5 hits.
Alfie, directed by Lewis Gilbert, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1966.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1966!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1966 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Ken Levine: American video game designer co-founded Irrational Games.
- Tracee Talavera: American Silver Medal gymnast.
- Katja Bienert: Berlin, Germany -- Actress (Praxis Bulowbogen).
- Stephane Talbot: Greenfield Park, Quebec -- Golfer (1992 Quebec PGA).
- Tim Hardaway: American basketball player: guard, Heat.
- KIFW (now KTNL) TV channel 13 in Sitka, AK (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Ralph Baer begins developing an idea for game playing using a standard home television monitor, writing a four-page description of his idea. Within days, he has produced schematic drawings of a two-player block chase game.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Donovan - Sunshine Superman
- The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer In The City
- The Happenings - See You In September
- The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
- The Beatles - Yellow Submarine
- Bobby Hebb - Sunny
- Wilson Pickett - Land Of 1000 Dances
- Lee Dorsey - Working In The Coal Mine
- Stevie Wonder - Blowin' In The Wind
- Billy Stewart - Summertime
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?