Tuesday 2 August 1955
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
To Catch a Thief, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 2 August 1955 ?
- St. Etheldritha/Alfrida
- St. Alphonsus Mary de Ligouri
- St. Stephen
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 4 saints: St. Peter Julian Eymard
- Feast day of Ilya the Prophet in Russian Orthodox Church
- Bulgaria/Republic of Macedonia - Ilinden (St. Ilya Day), a day of remembrance of the Ilinden Uprising
- Costa Rica - Our Lady of the Angels
- Day of airborne forces in Russia
- Jimmy Lowe: Nashville, Tennessee -- Country singer (Pirates of Ms-Fred Jake).
- Roberta Wallach in New York City: New York, USA; actress (Civil Wars).
- Caleb Carr: American novelist and military historian.
- Tim Dunigan: American actor.
- Tony Godden: English footballer and manager.
- Muriel Robin: French comedian, singer and actress, she won an Emmy in 2007 for her leading role in "Marie Besnard." A natural performer as a child she loved clowning around to elicit laughs from family members but her dream was to become a singer. Since that time she has realized her dream by one-woman shows and other performances that tap her many talents.
- Craig Virgin: American runner, the record-holder in the 10,000 meter race as of 1980. Direct as a rifle shot, he was more than an athlete. He was an aggressive and colorful performer who gave seven years of exciting races. His company, Front Runner Inc., had many business dealings. He ran under the sponsorship of Adidas and sold paraphernalia such as hats, T-shirts, souvenirs and posters.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 August 1955 and get them!