Thursday 4 August 1955
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
To Catch a Thief, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 4 August 1955 ?
- Ancient Egypt - Jubilation of the Heart of Re
- El Salvador - Transfiguration Bank Holiday
- Cook Islands - Constitution Day (celebrations begin on the last Friday in July and last up to 2 weeks.)
- Burkina Faso - Anniversary of the Revolution
- St. Luanus/Lugid
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint John Vianney, the patron saint of priests
- St. Dominic
- Joy Sexton: American noted family, daughter of American poet, Anne Sexton.
- Karin Smith: German javelin thrower who won a Silver Medal at the 1981 World University Games.
- Alberto Gonzales: American soldier lawyer and politician 80th United States Attorney General.
- Billy Bob Thornton in Hot Springs: Arkansas, USA; actor Sling Blade, A Family Thing.
- Andrew M Allen in Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA Captain US Marine Corp/astronaut (sk: STS-46).
- Charles D "Sam" Gemar in Yankton: South Dakota, USA; army/astronaut (STS 38, 48).
- Billy Thornton: Movie Actor
- Eisenhower authorizes $46 million for construction of CIA headquarters
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?