Wednesday 9 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Max Neuhaus and Tony Budge.
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 August 1939 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Max Neuhaus: Composer.
- Tony Budge: English contractor / tank maker / multi-millionaire.
- Brito: Brazilian footballer.
- Claude Osteen: baseball pitcher (Cincinnati Reds).
- Daniel Alcouffe: French curator and art historian.
- Romano Prodi: Italian politician and educator, he became Prime Minister in 2006. Prodi was a university professor who became President of IRI in 1982 and the Counsel of Italian-American Relations in 1983. Moving into the industrial executive positions from 1983, Prodi continued his professorships at various universities but also sat on numerous management boards, the editor of "Energia e Industria" and two other quarterly publications and member of executive scientific committees on geopolitics. He is the rec
- Hércules Ruas: Brazilian footballer
- Vincent Hanna: Northern Irish journalist (d. 1997)
- The Mighty Hannibal: American singer-songwriter and producer (d. 2014)
- Billy Henderson: American singer (The Spinners) (Born 1939)
- Bulle Ogier: French actress and screenwriter
- Butch Warren: American bassist (d. 2013)
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?