Wednesday 9 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 August 1939 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Romano Prodi: Italian politician and educator, he became Prime Minister in 2006.
- Max Neuhaus: Composer.
- Tony Budge: English contractor / tank maker / multi-millionaire.
- Hércules Ruas: Brazilian footballer.
- Vincent Hanna: Northern Irish journalist (d. 1997).
- The Mighty Hannibal: American singer-songwriter and producer (d. 2014)
- Billy Henderson: American singer (The Spinners) (Born 1939)
- Bulle Ogier: French actress and screenwriter
- Butch Warren: American bassist (d. 2013)
- Daniel Alcouffe: French curator and art historian.
- Brito: Brazilian footballer
- Claude Osteen: baseball pitcher (Cincinnati Reds).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 August 1939 and get them!