Friday 25 August 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 25 August 1939 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
- John Badham: Luton, England -- Director (Dracula, Short Circuit).
- John Bardon: English actor (d. 2014).
- Ana Ribeiro: Brazilian astrologer, highly praised among her colleagues, a consultant, teacher, international lecturer and member of AFA.
- Liselot[te JM] Beekmeyer: Actress (Issue Blum).
- Babe Siebert: Canadian ice hockey player and coach (d. 1939).
- The United Kingdom and Poland form a military alliance in which the UK promises to defend Poland in case of invasion by a foreign power.
- An Irish Republican Army bomb explodes in the centre of Coventry, England, killing 5 people.
- MGM's classic musical film ''The Wizard of Oz'', based on L. Frank Baum's famous novel, and starring Judy Garland as Dorothy, is released in theaters everywhere.
- Division of Grazing renamed U.S. Grazing Service.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?