Sunday 13 December 2009
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
Avatar, directed by James Cameron, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 13 December 2009 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 13 December
- Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair states in an interview that he would have gone to war in Iraq even if he had known that it had no weapons of mass destruction. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- British Prime Minister Gordon Brown makes an unannounced visit to Afghanistan to support British forces deployed as part of the International Security Assistance Force and to hold talks with Afghan President Hamid Karzai. (BBC)
- Danish police arrest 200 protesters heading for Copenhagen harbour, on the second day of demonstrations at the United Nations Climate Change Conference. (AP)
- Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei accuses the pro-reform opposition of breaking the law after state television allegedly showed opposition supporters destroying images of founder Ruhollah Khomeini.
- Joe McElderry wins the sixth series of the UK version of ITV's The X Factor produced by FremantleMedia's talkbackTHAMES and Simon Cowell's Syco TV. This meant that Cheryl Cole was the first mentor to win two consecutive series. (BBC)
- Voters in Chile go to the polls in presidential and parliamentary elections. (Reuters)
- Over 100 suspected Islamic militants break into a prison in the Philippine city of Isabela, freeing at least 31 inmates and killing two, including a prison guard. (BBC)
- Chinese President Hu Jintao opens the Kazakhstan–China oil pipeline connecting central Asia to China. (BBC)
- The Sarejevo-Belgrade rail link resumes between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia after 18 years. (AP)
- Violence erupts in Turkey after the Constitutional Court of Turkey bans the Democratic Society Party over its alleged terrorist links. (''The Guardian'')
- India successfully test fires its nuclear-capable ampquotDhanushampquot missile off the Orissa coast. (''The Hindu'')
- Global consulting firm Accenture and multinational corporation Procter Gamble end their endorsement deals with golfer Tiger Woods following a marital infidelity controversy. (Bloomberg)
- Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is hit in the face and knocked to the ground after a political rally in Milan. (CNN)
- Leaders of north and south Sudan reach a deal on a referendum for the south's independence in 2011. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?