Saturday 14 September 1957
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Tammy by Debbie Reynolds.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Woman in a Dressing Gown, directed by J. Lee Thompson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Letter From Peking by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1957!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1957 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Jerry Don Gleaton: Baseball player.
- Carole Vareille: French homicide victim, murdered in her sleep by her husband Alain who also killed their two kids, 9/12/1987, Bougival, France.
- Tim Wallach: Huntington Park -- Infielder (California Angels).
- Kepler Wessels: former Australian and South African cricketer.
- UN resolution deplores and condemns USSR invasion of Hungary
- ''Have Gun, Will Travel'' premieres on CBS.
- Olav V becomes King of Norway on the death of his father Haakon VII.
- The sailing ship ''Pamir'' sinks off the Azores in a hurricane.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Paul Anka - Diana
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
- Nat King Cole - Send For Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 September 1957 and get them!